Why did nursery teacher lie to me?

My 4 and a half year old son came home from nursery yesterday, he told me he touched something by accident and teachers shouted at him really loud. I asked him what he touched and he looked very remorseful and repeated it was an accident mama. Well I reassure him that accidents do happen so don’t worry and tell me... show more My 4 and a half year old son came home from nursery yesterday, he told me he touched something by accident and teachers shouted at him really loud. I asked him what he touched and he looked very remorseful and repeated it was an accident mama. Well I reassure him that accidents do happen so don’t worry and tell me the what exactly you touched. He calmed down and told me that he touched the “marble jar” and it fell on the floor and broken into million pieces. I asked him if he got hurt, he said he moved back and nearly got bumped into the door behind him. He then told me all the teachers from other class heard the “bang” and they came and shouted at him and told him “why do you touch other people’s things”?
So today when i went to pick my son up, they denied the whole thing and told me “nothing happened”.
At this point i call my son at the scene and ask him to tell what happened yesterday and his reply was “nothing happened” it was just a story.
I was shocked. I know my son and he does not make up stories like that.
I mentioned the incident to them was to find out the exact details and to apologise for my sons mistake. I had no other intention and I wasn’t massively concerned. But now i am!! I know my son and i know for sure he didn’t make all this stuff up.

What do any of you have to say about this? Can anyone think of any reasons why the teachers might be hiding the whole incident from me? Any advice on what to do next, I am having trust issues with the nursery staff now.