Should I pay for the whole holiday if I cancel?

My friend and I booked a holiday last year, all paid for separately and non refundable. A month after we booked, I received a once in a lifetime offer (huge investment pitch for my business) which I couldn’t refuse.. which was happening on a day in the middle of when we were supposed to go away. I was really... show more My friend and I booked a holiday last year, all paid for separately and non refundable. A month after we booked, I received a once in a lifetime offer (huge investment pitch for my business) which I couldn’t refuse.. which was happening on a day in the middle of when we were supposed to go away.

I was really apologetic but told her I couldn’t turn down a once in a life time opportunity, so we would have to cancel the holiday. She said unless I pay her back for her half, she doesn’t want to be my friend again. It was £500 each, so although I have already paid my £500, I am now paying her back her £500 in monthly instalments.

I’ve had people say mixed things.. but I thought to ask, is it right that I’m paying her back her half when I’ve already lost £500 myself?