Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited Kingdom · 5 months ago

Should I pay for the whole holiday if I cancel?

My friend and I booked a holiday last year, all paid for separately and non refundable. A month after we booked, I received a once in a lifetime offer (huge investment pitch for my business) which I couldn’t refuse.. which was happening on a day in the middle of when we were supposed to go away.

I was really apologetic but told her I couldn’t turn down a once in a life time opportunity, so we would have to cancel the holiday. She said unless I pay her back for her half, she doesn’t want to be my friend again. It was £500 each, so although I have already paid my £500, I am now paying her back her £500 in monthly instalments.

I’ve had people say mixed things.. but I thought to ask, is it right that I’m paying her back her half when I’ve already lost £500 myself?

YOU pulled out of the holiday. Why should it cost your friend? You should pay.

You need to pay.

You two had a commitment together. Your friend was counting on going with you, nobody else. Yes, pay back your friend. Unless the friend wanted to go with someone else and that someone else could afford to go and wanted to go to the same place, at that specific time, your friend got screwed, and it is unlikely that anyone could go in your place. Employed friends working for other people can't just up and go and be absent from their job. A vacation request MUST be asked for months, sometime a full year in advance, so it would be presumptuous to expect that anyone else could go with your friend. I think you should pay for the whole thing but, if all you can afford is monthly payments, that's fair. You didn't mean to do it and, I completely understand - something too good to turn down.

• B

you caused the situation, so you are responsible

If she can still go on the holiday without you, then you shouldn't pay for her half; you should pay only for yours. If she can't go on the holiday so all 1000 is lost, then you should pay for all of it.

• Eva

Why couldn't your friend go by herself or find someone to buy out your share?

• DEBS

Regardless of whether you pay her back, she is not the type of person I'd even want as a friend. Friends don't give ultimatums like that.

Seem pretty fair to me. She still takes a loss on this (I assume she didn't go on the vacation at all) and yuo still got to do the once in a lifetime thing. Of course you didn't hae to pay her back but you both seem to be acting maturely about it all.

Now if she still went on the trip then I think you're an idiot.

Yes of course it is. You chose to do something else instead, and, no matter how important that is to you, you have left someone else out of pocket. Put yourself firmly in HER shoes and see how you feel about it then.

• Maxi

That is up to you and your 'friend'