Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

Is it disrespectful to put money on the counter instead of in the cashiers hand?

She was a ghetto fat slob with an attitude. So I put the money on the counter. So then she says with an attitude "Can you put the money in my hand" I don't understand how what I did was disrespectful.

I always put the money on the counter,customer is always right after all.

If she was rude to me, I would have done the same thing, plus left a mean note on the bill where it says "Tip".

Screw her you have no idea what germs are on her hand

Usually I put it into their hand, but if I'm counting it out in bits and pieces, I put each piece down on the counter until the total is lying there. By then the cashier is usually picking it up already so the question doesn't arise.

Customs differ. In some places it's obligatory to put the payment down so the other person can pick it up. Apparently she was brought up with different ideas.

As Cara says, if they hold out their hand for it, put it in their hand. Otherwise, do either.

In many European countries, it isn't normal to hand it directly to the cashier or for them to give you your change directly; there's a little dish on the counter for that. And of course in countries where men and women strangers aren't supposed to get close, as in most of the Middle East, it's a big no-no to hand anything directly to a cashier or shop assistant of the opposite sex.

shes probably just used to people doing that

I too have encountered that situation. So I just put the money in their hand.

• Cara

If the cashier holds out a hand for the money, I put the money in the hand. Otherwise it goes on the counter.

Aren't you saying here that was just what you had wanted to do?