Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

Is it normal that my parents let my autistic 22 year old sister live with them even though she does absolutely nothing in life?

Many other people with autism have a job too and she doesn't even have it that bad so I don't think it should be an excuse for being lazy. I think my parents should finally kick her out so she has a reason to change her life and get over her fears. Do you agree?

Everyone with autism is different that's why it's called "Autism Spectrum Disorder" now so don't compare her to other people.

Living on your own when young is just a stupid waste of money these days if your parents aren't abusive.

Your parents I'm sure are more aware of her needs and what she is capable of than you are since you just sound like a self-righteous hypocrite who hates her own job and wants disabled people to starve and die because you hate your own job so much.

• Luke

Where else is she going to live, seeing as how she doesn't have an income? Should there a rule that she can only live with her parents if she has enough money to live by herself?

Of course you want her to get a job. Making her homeless will NOT make it easier for her to get a job. Try getting a job when you don't have a fixed address.

Normal? Who wants to be "normal? It is surely their decision.

• edward

Meh. At 25, i live back at home but i don’t need to live there. Does that make sense? I can move back out without a problem of finding somewhere to stay

It depends on the level of autism. But it is possible your sister needs more help than you realize just as its possible your parents are harming her ability to become independent by being over-protective.

• LizB

Depends on how severe her autism is. Individuals within some parts of the spectrum (like many with Aspergers) can live fairly normal lives, but some can never live independently. We don't know your sister so your family is probably a better judge of what your sister can handle and what she can't.

yes she needs some tough love. she must learn how to interact with people and stop being afraid of everything. im certain she can hold a job like anyone else after she got used to being around people. your parents should kick her out soon. better do it now than in 20 years when your parents wont be around anymore and she is suddenly on her own.

• Pippin

Absolutely. Kicking her out to starve on the street is the ideal way to parent a young adult with developmental differences.

• Jill

I think you should mind your own business. Your parents decide who lives with them.