Amazon delivery driver? Legal help questions?

My boyfriend works for a company called Letter Ride that works with Amazon to deliver packages. I’m worried for him and his well being at that job. We’re both relatively young in your early 20’s and he constantly feels as if he is being overworked and is forced to work in unsanitary/unsafe conditions. The company constantly makes him deliver a high package rates, soo high in fact that he has to speed, roll through stop signs, and drive unsafely just to finish on time because they tell him “No help, no rescues, be done by 5:30.” He has tried to tell them the package rate he if comfortable with but to them it’s all numbers. He even has to pee in bottles in the back of the company vehicle because there is no time for restroom stops, he’s even found other co workers urine cups in company vehicles before because no one checks them and cleans them. The company vehicles are also not maintained very well with almost every vehicle needing maintenance like new tires, oil chances, broken doors, broken windshield wipers etc. he also isn’t given proper equipment during work because sometimes they don’t give him the cellphone car mounts to hold the phone that shows the delivery route and he’s forced to use a phone and drive at the same time. I’m worried for him and I wonder what would happen to him if he gets into an accident? Could his job throw him under the bus? Is there anything we can do besides find another job?(because that takes time and he’s in the process of looking right now)

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Tell him to look for another job.

• 6 months ago

Really none of your business. Those re his choices, so stay out of it and mind your own business.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sounds like your boyfriend just isn't good at managing his time.

• 6 months ago

Your boyfriend has choices. That's what life is al about -- making good choices.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Wow, you are very very skilled at playing the victim.

He doesn’t “have to” pee in a cup. He chooses to.

He doesn’t “have to” break traffic laws. He chooses to.

He’s not “forced to use his phone and drive at the same time”. He’s chosen to not buy a car mount and to not know his route.

“Throw him under the bus”? How? Do you know what this means?

If he is injured because a vehicle maintained by the company failed, he can sue the company. If *he’s* negligent, like blowing through stop signs, that’s on him.

Don’t get me wrong, if these aren’t woefully exaggerated complaints, it sounds difficult. But, you are also acting like he’s a slave and working under duress. He’s not.

Talking to management won’t work if he speaks like you do. He needs to be clear, concise, and have documented concerns with dates and specifics.

He can research laws for his state to see if there is a legal avenue.

He can refuse to drive unsafe equipment.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Many companies set impossible targets and employees achieve those targets by cutting corners in order to keep their job............. your bf needs to be looking for and applying for a new job, give notice and leave which is about all he can do

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Wow ,inform Amazon about their fly by nighters that they hire to subcontract ....if he gets into an accident that's on him and his drivers license .

• parsnipianna
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Amazon doesn't give a rat's behind about their OWN employees, fat chance they care about subcontractors.

• Will
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Welcome to the commercial driving industry. We are overworked with insane deadlines to meet. Our employers don't always give a damn about our trucks' conditions. Your boyfriend should just quit. OSHA won't do ****. They never do.

• Will
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I'm sure he isn't getting good health insurance, a retirement plan, or even a pay over $20. Never be contractor for any form of online shopping.

• 6 months ago

The employer is not driving the vehicle. If your boyfriend gets in an accident that is his fault, the employer would not "throw him under the bus" because they can't. They have nothing to do with the accident your boyfriend caused.

Also, your boyfriend driving in an unsafe manner is NOT doing him any good. The only time speeding, etc saves time is when you are doing freeway/interstate driving- not stop and go side street driving.

- there is a LOT of information on google on this

The items you describe about the vehicles don't impact the safety of the vehicle. They impact the long term usage of the truck. If the company has decided it's cheaper to drive them into the ground instead of doing general maintenance that's on him.

If they don't give your boyfriend a cell phone mount, how about HE ASK FOR IT. Or better yet, he spends $5 to buy one so he will always have it.

Your boyfriend has no sense of time, he if he thinks peeing in a cup instead of running in & out of a fast food restaurant that he is passing is saving him more than a handful of seconds. And if he wants the vehicles cleaned out at the end of a shift, why doesn't he suggest that as part of the end of shift checklist.

Why do you act like your boyfriend is not responsible for his own actions?

• 6 months ago

Your boyfriend is legally entitled to make workplace complaints to his/your state's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). When I say legally entitled, I mean that he is able to make a complaint and be legally protected from retaliation from his employer for making such complaint. Generally speaking, I do not believe that OSHA will disclose his name to the employer, i.e., OSHA will not disclose his name and that he was the one who made a complaint.

In terms of "throwing him under the bus" if an accident were to occur, I mean your boyfriend would be legally responsible for any accident that occurred if it was his negligence that caused the accident (speeding, etc.). However, the employer would also be held vicariously liable because your boyfriend is their employee.

In terms of "throwing him under the bus" as in firing him for being in an accident, generally speaking businesses may fire an employee for any reason so long as the termination is not due to your boyfriend being a part of a protected class, i.e., the employer cannot fire your boyfriend for the sole reason that he is black (hypothetically). Therefore, in this sense, the employer could "throw him under the bus" in the sense that they have the legal right to terminate him for any reason whatsoever (as long as not for the sole reason of being in a protected class).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.