Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

Were/are your parents in a happy marriage?

• sometimes

now and again

this week

next week

etc etc

• Kelly

My parents were mostly miserably married for 40 years when my dad died, but for whatever reason it worked for them and that's the only people it needed to. He died almost 15 years ago and my mom still grieves for him, she has no interest in dating/marrying other people.

My in-laws seemingly have a very happy marriage. They've been married 50 years and seem to have a quite a healthy and happy marriage. My FIL gave both my husband and his brother the advice when they got married to always treat their wife like they were trying to get their first date with her because it's what he does and well.. it works. I asked my MIL about the key to a successful marriage (since it was so different than my own parents marriage) and she said she always put her husband first because the kids were there relatively short term and he would be there well after the kids left so she needed to continue that bond with him. Followed by "we still fck a lot too" and I really wasn't quite sure what to say to that part. I just took away from that if things go according to plan we will have a healthy sex life, long term. I tried to share that part with my husband and all he said was "Umm that's my mommy you're talking about, besides my room was next to theirs so I already know".

• cat

Yes, they are. They've been married for 43 years (together for 45). Together they bought their first home, had 3 children and buried 2 of those children (my brothers, of course). Life has not been easy for them- I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a child, and then lose another child. But they've always had each other and they've never given up. They've overcome everything together. My parents are amazing!

• dman63

In the end, I don’t really think so. They were married for 51 years until my dad passed in 2010, but I sometimes think they just tolerated each other for the last 20 or so years. It’s not something I really like to think about, especially since I feel like I have a happier time with my wife, as do my sisters and their husbands. I suppose that I saw things I didn’t like in their relationship. I wanted to make my own life and marriage different from theirs, and I made that decision long before I met and married my wife.

My parents have been divorced since I was five, and my mom got divorced for a second time about ten years ago (my dad has never remarried or had any kind of successful long-term relationship since). I wouldn t characterize either of those marriages as particularly happy, at least not in the end. To me, my parents are both living proof that not everyone is meant to get married, be married, or stay married. And that s ok! They re fine on their own.

My in-laws have been married for over thirty five years. They re pretty happy, at least from where I sit. I m not sure how they put up with each other, but it s not my circus and those aren t my monkeys.

No. My family life would have been tons better if they had divorced instead of staying together for the sake of the children.

No. They were nice people, but my Mom was very bored.

• Lita

My Mum and Stepfather were. My Mum and Sperm Donor were not.

• Lita

Actually, the sperm donor title had nothing to do with their marriage. He was Dad, while they were married. Once they divorced and he found out how hard it is to date and be a dad he chose dating over his kids and became a sperm donor.

My Father and Mother were married seventeen years. She died in an accident, then my father remarried a few years later.

They're still married.

I'm nearly sixty one now.

Like any, has ups and downs. but overall yes