Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 5 months ago

Why are some people so obsessed with guns?

Have you ever shot a gun? They're freakin awesome...

Number 1, they're fun to shoot.

Number 2, different guns are better for different things and learning about them is fun.

Number 3, they're a very useful tool in many regards. Recreation, protection, hunting, professional sport, giving nations an advantage in war...they serve many purposes.

Number 4, some people suffer from traumatic experience where a gun could've been incredibly useful, and they learned about it after the fact. So they delve into an obsession with guns because they feel it will level the playing field if anything happens to them again...

Could be any combination of the above or more...

I love shooting. It's a great time. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I definitely can see why some people are.

• Scott4 months agoReport

Sam, if number 4 involved a wife seeing her husband beaten into a coma, I'm pretty sure the gun would have been a better alternative.
      Yes you are right, some people are killed protecting their ego. That has been the case since human beings have existed.

I love my guns bc they are reliable and useful. I use them for shooting, Hunting, and for self defense. As a retired officer in the German Army I am well trained and safe with my guns. never had a problem. I live in America and europe and own a commercial real este portfolio. Used to have properties in south florida and 2 of the office buildings were in a bad neighborhood that was being redeveloped. Part of one of the deals was a abandoned house behind the office building. its had become overrun with crackheads by the time I bought the property and one day I was down there meeting with a contractor and I heard the crackheads playin music and causing trouble in the back. I pulled my truck around the street and parked outside the house where 2 of them were out front on the porch. I shouted at them to leave, and that they were trespassing. I had already called my girl in the office to call the sheriffs butt before they arrived an argument ensued and one of the crackheads pulled out an illegally owned and carried 32 and started shooting at me. a round hit buy truck but I drew my 45 and shot him 4 times in the chest. he went flying back like he was on wheels and I am fairly certain that if I had not had a gun on me he would have killed me. every man has the right to protect his life and property and having a gun is critical in doing that

Guns symbolize power, and many Americans feel disempowered--as they should. Both Democratic and Republican regimes have done what they could to take from the poor and give to the rich. Educated people would rise up in revolt, but instead the uneducated masses blame the government for trying to take away their power symbols.

• alexander5 months agoReport

how are they gonna rise up and fight the government with no guns?

• Cousin

Because those obsessed with slingshots get killed.

Why are so many obsessed with SEX, CARS, DRINKING, GETTING DRUNK EVERY PAYDAY, HATING TRUMP, Hating your black neighbor, hating Mexican Food... Its a free country they can be obsessed with whatever they want to be obsessed with.

and its my gun and I can play with it as much as I want to..

• Sam

you play with 'it' a lot, but 'it' isn't a gun. Not everything that shoots is a gun.

• Joseph

They only ones I see that are obsessed with guns are the ones trying to take them away from everyone else.

Source(s): Been a legal gun owner over 25 years

Why are some people so "obsessed" with cars, antiques, salt shakers, lithographs, or any other object? They enjoy them. They're collectors. They enjoy using them. Guns can help put dinner on the table or a criminal on a slab at the morgue. Have you noticed how many of those most ardently opposed to a personal right to self defense are the ones who hire someone else to defend them, WITH a gun? frau feinstein, alyssa milano, other members of Congress and the glitterati.

They feel inadequate, insignificant and impotent as men (or women) but a deadly firearm in hand makes them feel omnipotent , and a force to be reckoned with, almost like God, with the power to take a human life grasped firmly, index finger on the trigger. Pretty heady, ego-inflating stuff, and that kind of hubris always seems to have bad consequences for unconscious, unaware little humans. “What fools these mortals be....”

• Lv 5

That is baloney. Keep the Freudian BS out of it.

• Nick

They are easily manipulated.

They feel they can’t be a “man” without a gun

• Lv 5

Idiots. What about women who enjoy guns? They all have penis envy? You are idiots.