kathryn asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

Is it okay to date someone who’s smarter than you are?

I’m an intelligent woman, but I always had the simple desire of looking after people, so instead of attending uni, I went to TAFE and became an aged Care and disability support worker. I’m going on a date with a lawyer tonight. We seem to get on well, but mum says that lawyers are intelligent people and they have the killer instinct. I’m intelligent, but I’m not very aggressive by nature. Nor do I have the degree of class, sophistication, ambition, or intelligence that a lawyer would have. Could a very intelligent, classy person go for someone similar, but less so than they are?

I would say as a rule of thumb: It all depends on the two parties involved, on their individual attitudes and Character. For instance, I have been with a few women who were insecure within themselves and would assume that I thought less of them or was critical of them when I was not. Its just that they knew I had the greater intellect and therefore thought I thought less of them, but this is probably what Jung called projection. This is what they thought of themselves by comparison and therefore thought I would come to the same conclusion, which I did not. I would say the success of a relationship depends on peoples self worth and levels of growth, not on what they do, or how much they have.

Absolutely! Everyone has different qualities that are unique to them. It is like asking ‘is it okay to date someone who is better looking than you are’ if there is a connection then does it really matter?

No because you are always going to be putting them down.

So lawyers are ‘classy’ in your solar system?

that will never happen i only date women

If you think about it lawyers aren't any smarter than the average person, all it requires is common sense. Don't be intimidated, be bold and have fun.

I married a woman who's IQ was ten points higher than my own. We remained married for 52 years before she passed away.

She was a woman of class, I was born and raised in an Ohio farm town. She lived in Cairo, Hanover, Frankfurt, and Majorca before I met her. I lived in Ohio.

I never felt intimidated by her. To the contrary, I felt blessed that she loved me and that I loved her in return.

My point...yes it's OK to date someone who's smarter. In fact, it could be beneficial when that someone becomes your helpmate and true love.

• oikoσ

In my case, it's okay but impossible. In your case, go for it. The odds are pretty much stacked against dating someone exactly as intelligent as you, so ONE of you is going to date someone smarter.

Also, don't confuse intelligence with education. The most intelligent person I ever met never earned a doctorate degree.

Lawyers are aggressive by nature

• .

OK with me, so go for it