Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 months ago

Military or money?

I am in college right now, I am on the path to become a doctor. I’ve been torn over this for years, should I join the military or become a doctor, and no I don’t want to be a doctor in the military. I’ve wanted to join for a while but I also don’t want to be broke like a lot of military members I know. I would enlist either Army or Marines. Yes I’ve gone through all this time in college and what not but I just wanted to keep my options open and I don’t know what to do.

How do you plan on going about becoming a doctor? I heard a lot of vague rambling about dreams but not a whole lot of solid plans to achieve that goal. Becoming a doctor is something that doesn't work out for a lot of people as there can be a lot of hurdles to overcome. Not everyone makes it past those hurdles. Many clumsy, unqualified AF people just barely stumble over them and scrape their face on the pavement. They come out of it looking ugly AF. Just because you have a college degree in the subject doesn't mean you're qualified. Welcome to the boulevard of broken dreams. Take a number and get in line...

• Mrsjvb

if you enlist and serve your 4-6 years, you will get the GI Bill which covers 36 months of tuition and fees in any state run college/university. or you could go straight through Med school and graduate with several hundred thousand dollars in student loan debt.

the GI bill basically covers most Undergraduate degrees. if you used it for post graduate education, it would probably cover about half of med school.

Going to be a Doctor!

Cause you are now run along and ask Mummy to buy you that nice Junior Doctor bag you have always wanted.

Keep asking the same questionagain and again will not make you a Doctor nor a military person.

• John

One hitch in the US military will give you the best healthcare in the world for life.

• Big Mouth

Is that why everybody complains about the service at the VA hospital?

• ?

Continue college until you get a BS/BA degree.

If you are studying to be a doctor, it's a bit late for 'keeping your options open'. You appear to have a bad case of indecision which won't help you in life at all. Decide now, do you want a military career or a career in medicine and then knuckle down and pursue it. Fluttering about as you appear to be will only ensure you never succeed at anything.

You might want to do some research on the debt that most doctors have to pay off. You could always try to commission after you get your BS and then use the GI Bill to help pay your additional expenses for the MD. https://www.sofi.com/blog/medical-school-debt-payo...

Finish at least a Bachelor's degree.

If you are in your first two years of university then explore ROTC options.

Only 1% of undergraduates who plan on becoming doctors actually become doctors.