Do American families struggle to make a living like the underclass in the U.K?

Every time American life is portrayed by film and media, it conveys the message that all Americans are filthy rich, live in mansions, drive the biggest cars, etc, but is there American families who struggle to make a living? Are there any living in cramped houses? Are they too like us in the U.K taxed literally to... show more Every time American life is portrayed by film and media, it conveys the message that all Americans are filthy rich, live in mansions, drive the biggest cars, etc, but is there American families who struggle to make a living? Are there any living in cramped houses? Are they too like us in the U.K taxed literally to death?
I imagine life to be wonderful there according to what I see. Is there any truth that American families struggle to make a living? Or are they all rich.