It can be pigment painting or flint engraving.
- First, the natural relief of the stone is often the inception of the future work (as a natural bas-relief)
- Sometimes, the relief is enhanced by engraving.
- Then the black outline is drawn with charcoal,
- Colors are made with pigments available depending on the region
Most pigments are mineral, however, there is evidence of organic dyes.
- red: hematite
- yellow: goethite
- black: coal or manganese oxide (in Lascaux)
- brown: mix of colors above
- no cold colors (blue, green)