Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 6 months ago

Is it normal for FedEx to transfer something to a facility that's further away?

I'm waiting for a shipment and I've been tracking it with FedEx. I live in the Chicago metro (IL), and the shipment originated in Indianapolis, IN. But when I checked it this morning they had transferred it to a facility in Memphis. TN?

It looks planned since the expected delivery date hasn't changed but...

How does that make any sense?

* Memphis, TN

For reference, Indianapolis -> Chicago is a ~3 hr drive, Memphis -> Chicago is ~7.5 hr drive and Google automatically recommends flights for it. So wth FedEx?

Almost all FedEx packages go from the originator to their main hub in Memphis, then to the destination.

Memphis TN is their primary hub...tons go through Memphis.

Yes. Memphis is their main facility. Originally, everything went through there. I'm not sure if that's still true, but it's certainly still the hub for the central time zone.

All FEDEX Air packages go through Memphis even if the destination is nearby..

FedEx has always used Memphis as a parting point in its varied travels. Why ? Because Memphis has the most FAIR weather given its starting point.

• A Hunch

Los Angeles has way more "fair" weather than Memphis, so that is not the reason all FedEx packages go through Memphis.