What happens if I refuse to do jury duty?

I don't want to get mixed up in criminal and victim's life. Can they do anything if I just don't go??

If you refuse to do jury duty, you will be held in contempt of court, which will get you a heavy fine and/or time in jail and it will be on your record.

Suppose you were arrested for a crime you didn't commit. How would you like it if someone refused to sit on the jury for your trial because they 'didn't want to get mixed up in your life'?

You should not do this.

First, Civic Duty.

Second, bench warrant.

Third, chances are it's no more than a day out of your life, a day you will get paid for.

Fourth, justice cannot happen if people just arbitrarily decide not to show up for jury duty. You have a Constitutional right to a jury trial, whether civil or criminal. When you just up and decide that you're not going to show up, you are denying someone else their Constitutional right. Just as they would be denying you YOUR Constitutional right if you ever needed to have a jury trial and you couldn't get any jurors.

Conflict happens, and when those conflicts cannot be settled out of court -- which most cases are -- then what is required is a jury of one's peers, who have no dog in the fight, need to see all the evidence, hear all the witnesses, etc., and come to a conclusion of who is right or wrong. This is true for criminal cases as well as civil. Justice cannot happen without you.

If it were you, if you needed to sue someone -- or God forbid you got sued by someone, or worse yet, you were the victim of a crime, you would need a jury, and you would want the best jury you could find. It may be a pain in the butt in the beginning, but at the end you will have received quite the education and you will have done a good deed for both plaintiff and defendant, as well as your civic duty. The role of juror is far more important than that of attorney, judge, clerk, paralegal, or court reporter. It cannot happen without you.

Retired Court Reporter who has most definitely seen jurors brought in on bench warrants for blowing off jury duty.

Many is going to say you will go to jail etc... HAVE YOU EVER meet anyone who admits going to jail for not going for jury duty. The key is to completely ignore the letter. You did not sign for it so there is NO WAY THEY CAN ACTUALLY PROVE YOU EVER GOT It. You are innocent until proven guilty so unless they are all democrits who believe you are guilty unless proven innocent you will not go to jail.. The Key though is do not answer the letter, do not call them and completely ignore it.

• Dennis F

I have seen hundreds hauled in on bench warrants, to stand in front of judge to explain why they should not be held in contempt of court, Most chose to show up the next week for duty. Some paid large fines.

You will be put in jail. Serving on a jury is your CIVIL DUTY. It's NOT about you. You might find it very interesting. Listen and learn.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • David

It is considered mandatory but it's super easy to get out of jury duty. Just tell them you won't be unbiased when making a decision. Or...just do your civic duty and be on a jury. I served on a jury earlier this year for a statutory rape case and because of that service I've been taken out of the jury summons pool for the next two years.

I have never gotten a summons, so I don't know.

A warrant will be issued for your arrest

Go and just tell them you can’t be unbiased

Jury duty is considered mandatory. If you choose to miss without even making an effort to craft a valid excuse, you could run the risk of two years of incarceration or a substantial fine.

Refusal to obey the lawful orders of a court in my state carries a maximum of 6 months in jail

you will get a job at WALMART.COM