Should I join the Army?

A little bit about me, i'm 17 as of now and I turn 18 next year March. I've always had a decent level of fitness and seeing as i'm finished my leaving cert in 2 days i'm going to pursue my fitness a lot tougher (I have a lot of training regimens planned out). If I was to join I have about 9 months of straight training.

I haven't told my parents yet I've had this idea in joining for months, doing tons of research about the Irish defense forces and i'm really certain I want to join once I turn 18. I want the life skills that comes with and just everything about it. Is there anything I should know? How I should tell my parents? Should I even join (not that I have any doubts but I want to know EVERYTHING I can)?

I'm going to College in September, not sure if that's important to know too.

Thanks for any help.

Edot: Irish Army, I live in Ireland

• ?

Irish Army? They don't recruit many people a year. You'd be better off going to university.

Your other option is to join the British Army which you are eligible to do.

Why not join the Air Force? Less physical demand, no combat, and you'll never spend the night in a foxhole.

• .

It's up to you, but unless you get a job with a solid civilian equivalent, I wouldn't do it -- unless you just need the GI bill to pay for college or plan to make a career in the military. There's no sense in joining the army for four or five years and not learning a skill set that you can use once you're out.

• .

It depends on what experiences you have an what skills you acquire.

If I were you I would join the navy....same training, but nobody popping IED's under your car as you drive by

Which army and are you black?

• Lv 7

Let the white man fight his own wars.