Should I join the Army?

A little bit about me, i'm 17 as of now and I turn 18 next year March. I've always had a decent level of fitness and seeing as i'm finished my leaving cert in 2 days i'm going to pursue my fitness a lot tougher (I have a lot of training regimens planned out). If I was to join I have about 9 months of straight training.

I haven't told my parents yet I've had this idea in joining for months, doing tons of research about the Irish defense forces and i'm really certain I want to join once I turn 18. I want the life skills that comes with and just everything about it. Is there anything I should know? How I should tell my parents? Should I even join (not that I have any doubts but I want to know EVERYTHING I can)?

I'm going to College in September, not sure if that's important to know too.

Thanks for any help.

Update:

Edot: Irish Army, I live in Ireland

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Irish Army? They don't recruit many people a year. You'd be better off going to university.

Your other option is to join the British Army which you are eligible to do.

• 5 months ago

Why not join the Air Force? Less physical demand, no combat, and you'll never spend the night in a foxhole.

Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's up to you, but unless you get a job with a solid civilian equivalent, I wouldn't do it -- unless you just need the GI bill to pay for college or plan to make a career in the military. There's no sense in joining the army for four or five years and not learning a skill set that you can use once you're out.

Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

It depends on what experiences you have an what skills you acquire.

• 5 months ago

If I were you I would join the navy....same training, but nobody popping IED's under your car as you drive by

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Which army and are you black?

• Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Let the white man fight his own wars.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.