Anonymous

How much notice should I give when I leave my job?

I work part time at a grocery store, I was recently hired for a full time job that I start July 22nd (It s at a school, that s why the start date). I want to give notice as I have been at my current job for over 15 years, I know it s normally 2 weeks.

The thing is one of the stores in town is closing July 28th and they promised to place as many employees in a new store as possible when that one closes. So the sooner they know that my position will be available they will know they can offer someone a place at my store.

So, would you give the 2 weeks, or let them know ASAP (They will let me stay as long as I want, they won t let me go immediately)

14 Answers

Relevance
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Best answer

Much of this comes down to trust and how much not having a job until your new one starts matters if you get that trust wrong. Nobody here can answer that, but if you do absolutely trust that they won't just let you go as soon as you give notice then do it sooner than later. I'm sure others are looking for jobs elsewhere as well. Letting them know who they're trying to place is the right thing to do. Again, this assumes you trust them which it sounds like you do (and should after 15 years.)

• 6 months ago

Two weeks is adequate, unless you're supervisory/managerial level which would be hard to replace. Since they have employees to relocate from a closing store, they shouldn't have any trouble replacing you, so 2 wks is sufficient.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They might let you go immediately. give 2 weeks

• 6 months ago

If you believe they will treat you with respect, notify them now.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

It depends on the job and what their policies are. Someone told me that for their job, they had to give them a months notice, it gave them enough time to interview and look for new candidates

• 6 months ago

2 weeks, 1 if its forced upon you, and none if you just wanna get outta there.

• When you give your notice, that's when you plan on leaving.

If you want to quit now then give them your notice and a resignation letter asap.

But if you need the job then hold onto it until you can get another job.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Depends on what the legal notice obilation is where you live....after 15 yrs where I live legally notice would be one week per each year up to 12, so 12 weeks notice, so check legal notice were you live, personally I would give them as much notice as possible

• 6 months ago

ASAP. Give it now but tell them you would like to stay to July xx ( "you name a date to give yourself a small break / vacation"). As soon as they get your notice, they will know to fill your position at the new store with a new person. Mgmt may even hire quickly and have you train the person.

• Never
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

2 minutes to 2 weeks depending on how you want to leave.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.