G asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How to get my dog to stop peeing in the house?

I don’t know what to do. He constantly goes to the bathroom inside, but has free range outside with a doggy door and can go anytime. I walk him often every day. I give him treats when he goes to the bathroom outside. He just doesn’t stop no matter how much he’s taken outside

Get her/him diapers. My friend had to do that to stop him from raising his leg and pissing all over the place.

I have not read any other answers to your question,but my answer is this:

I do not know what breed of dog you own, but some dog breeds are harder to train than others, especially the smaller breeds! Some of the smaller breeds may NEVER get the hang of toilet training and may just piss and **** in your home forever! That is the truth!

Please "google" in dog breeds that are hard to house train!

I had a lovely pug cross puppy, I had her from 8 weeks old, but by age of 4 years old she was STILL NOT fully housetrained!

When he is indoors, place a pee pad inside of his kennel and do not let me walk around the house at all unless he's leashed and tied to a door or something when eating.

Directly take him outside to pee/poop and then back in the house to go back into the kennel. Make this a repetitive schedule everyday. Schedule playtime and walks outside too of course.

• Ambur5 months agoReport

Praise him when he does, and understand that if he's a puppy then mistakes WILL occur. He does not need the freedom of walking around the house unleased yet until he's house broken. Overtime, remove the leash and allow him to learn that peeing inside the house isn't ok

Put down a pee pad and let him use it.

• Anna

Pee pads don't help they just encourage the dog to go in the house.

• Ocimom

A doggie door is not the way to train a dog. Put the dog on a leash and take out every few hours and encourage the dog to potty outside. Do NOTHING but wait - no walking, no playing. The dog needs to learn that when you first go outside you potty - THEN you get to do other things.

A doggie door is just for the dog to run outside and play - not to do what it should do.

The dog is not potty trained to go outside to do business. You have to potty train him. If you have tried everything, then you are doing something wrong. Google, 'how to potty train an adult dog'. Lots of different ways to go about it but it has to go potty outside to get a treat. You can tie the dog to you so you can watch it & run it outside as soon as it starts looking for a place to go. You can take the dog out & DO NOT COME BACK til the dog has done his business.

• Maxi

Really difficult to advise without knowing more about the dog, what training it has had, what age it is, when and where is it left alone, when does it toilet in the house, what is your reaction.......... all matter so it would be making guesses on you/your dog/the situation as there are lots of possible ways of resolving it.

So points to look at is age if he is just maturing he could be marking and that may be because of other animal smell in the house or chemical cleaners that smell to him like other animals...so he is anxiously marking

Left to 'looking after' a whole house which makes him anxious, the smaller the space/room he has to look after the less anxious he will be

You potentially trained him using puppy pads......so taught him to pee in the house...now older he is making his own choice about where to pee in the house......( this is a normal response by any dog who is taught using those disgusting puppy pads)

You likely didn't train house training correctly...have a read https://k9aro.webs.com/toilettraining.htm and if you didn't and 'assumed' he would just go out and do it on his own then start house training correctly and SILENTLY so as not to confuse the dog

The basics are this is a training or health issue normally, the other issues could be a behaviour issue or using the wrong products to clean ( 50/50 white vinegar/water is a great cleaner and neutraliser of urine smell)

He has marked his spot. You need a cleaning product that destroys pheromones or he will always go back to it. Check at a pet supply store such as PetsMart.

• Jojo

IT would help to know the age of the dog and how long you have owned him and how long he has been peeing indoors, also if he is castrated and at what age it was done.

Without any facts about the dog any answers or advice can only be random guesses about this problem.

Also what do you use to clean up his pee?

Unless you use a urine neutralising solution, it will not get rid of any urine odours and the dog will want to pee in that place again and again.

• Verulam

@ James. The only guarantee castration will give you is no puppies....... it's generally ALL about Training.

• Lôn

Keep it outside in a kennel.

• Lôn

Keeping a dog in your bed??....Eww, certainly not.
      Bathing them...fine...OUTSIDE in a tin tub...NOT in the house.
      I like pigs...I wouldn't want to snuggle up to them.
      I suppose you let them lick your mouth ( after they've licked their willies or sniffed another dog's butt) too??...Eurgh!