Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

What should I do?

So I have 2 dogs. But I live with a roommate who has 2 dogs as well, I’ve been considering another dog (gsd) since i have been wanting one. I am financially stable and have more than enough room, I have a male gsd mix who is getting lonely due to the fact his sister (Siberian husky) is much older and doesn’t have much energy..I don’t expect her to live past another year sadly..

Long story short 8 weeks ago I was so sure I was more than ready for the puppy but now I am having major anxiety for some reason..I am extremely nervous about stupid things such as the walks and what if one dog feels left out or what if everyone thinks I’m crazy for getting another dog..

I’m not too sure what to do I’m so clueless and have been thinking for the past week..I just need a simple answer.

Should I cancel on getting the puppy? And just stick with my 2? Or should I get him..?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

I would wait on getting the puppy until you get things worked out. You can always get a puppy at a later date when things calm down.

• 5 months ago

Give the dogs up

The dog is not lonly. You are too lazy to take care of it and train it and want a new dog since you are bored of the old ones

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

At this time, please cancel the puppy - your older dog doesn't need the stress of a new puppy in the house. Wait till the older one passes on and then think about bringing in another puppy.

• 5 months ago

My first thought was about the old dog. This new puppy would be a total stranger invading his territory. He will not want anything to do with a puppy. He will growl, snarl, nip, bite or pin the pup to the floor. You will need to keep the pup from bugging the old man, quite serious on this. The invasion of territory is a major ordeal for dogs. Your younger dog may not like the new pup either for the same reasons. Causing major caos for several weekssss.

You may have to wait until the old dog passes before you can get a pup. That is my case right now. I have 15 yr old female Dalmatian with skin cancer & I have to wait until she passes before getting any other dogs. I have two dogs & will find another later.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

You can afford three dogs but you have to share a room?

I guess we all have different priorities.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Asking this question on a world wide forum to people you have no clue who they are or what knowledge they have, says to me you are not sure, not ready to have another dog......... going from 2-3 dogs is VERY different, with 3 you have a unit pack of dogs not just a pack consisting of people/dogs ( possible other animals) but you also have where you live two packs of people/dogs, two different trainers with differing techniques, two packs of dogs which a pup will learn from, so pick up all the bad habits of.

My advice would be no you are not ready and having anxiety you know you are not ready....... a pup takes lots of time and training, you can't leave it home alone mixing with adult dogs or you could come home to a dead pup

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

It's all up to you and your roommate. I personally would wait until the older one passes.

• 5 months ago

Cancel for now, wait until you have a better living situation for the dogs, and try to stop stressing and overthinking the situation.

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You said it.....You are so clueless. Very true.

Also I do not know your age and how much time you have to spend with a puppy and even if you have a garden or a job etc.

Also there is not only your 2 dogs to consider, but your roommates as well. That would be 5 dogs in a `room`?

One of yours is elderly and it would be unfair to expect it to put up with the antics of a puppy for a start. Also what genders are all these dogs and are any of them neutered? (spayed or castrated)?

You sound very young and yes, very clueless I`m afraid.

A GSD pup is soon going to be an adult which will need thorough training and loads of exercise.

That`s after all the toilet training you will need to do with the pup first and teaching it basic obedience. etc.

I think as you are also now SO unsure about doing this, that you should abandon the idea and think again once the elderly dog is not around and possibly you have better accommodation and do not share with someone who has dogs.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
    • Jojo
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

As you stated, and as I thought.....definitely CLUELESS. 🙄.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If you want another dog then get another one, you'll love puppies.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.