What s the best gaming console to buy for a new gamer?

The last time I owned a gaming console was when I had the Wii and the gamecube. I always wanted to buy an actual gaming station but I m a girl and my parents didn t think a girl should play video games, so they bought my brothers every gaming console on the market and I got makeup or clothes for Christmas *sad... show more The last time I owned a gaming console was when I had the Wii and the gamecube. I always wanted to buy an actual gaming station but I m a girl and my parents didn t think a girl should play video games, so they bought my brothers every gaming console on the market and I got makeup or clothes for Christmas *sad violin*. Now I m on my own in college and I really want to buy a system. I don t want to spend more than 250$ (so I can spend money on games too) so I m going to try to buy a pre-owned console. What is the best gaming console to buy?

side note - I m not looking to play with other people online so I don t really care about that aspect