Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 5 months ago

Is time travel to the past possible?

As in not time travel in your own timeline, but in an alternate timeline whereby your immune from any paradoxes. Time travel like in you see in Avengers Endgame

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

No not yet. maybe in d future.

• 5 months ago

No, the past has already happened. Why would the universe allow us to destroy it with things like the grandfather paradox?

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Only in the minds of sci fi writers. We have no clue how to manipulate time(or if it is even possible) Time is "just a way of counting up the days of our lives." using a measuring tool such as a clock. Once we are dead....it don't matter to us anymore.

• James
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

If it happened in the future, wouldn't someone come back and tell us about it?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Simple answer, Nope! so sorry.

We can travel to the future however without any paradox. This is even accounted for in Einstein's equations.

• 5 months ago

Physicists talk about a closed time like curve. This is a worldline that forms a loop. But you asked about a worldline that follows a different timeline. There is no evidence that other timelines exist. If they do, an infinite number of parallel lines form a plane. So we would have a time plane - 2 dimensional time. There is no evidence that time is 2D.

How do you propose getting to this other time line, if it exists? I don't know how.

Since this is not going to create paradoxes, I can't say it is impossible. But I have no indication, theoretical or experimental, that it is possible either.

• 5 months ago

I think It is possible, but not according to the physics of our day. We need a new physics framework.

• 5 months ago

It's unknown for now. We are not capable of any noticeable time traveling at this age. Even tho, time is proven not absolute, and each of us still experiences time differently but we can't notice that at our human's scale.

Traveling to another parallel timeline sounds like an idea taken from the general public's understanding of String Theory which has a grand mathematical structure beneath but our technologies have not been able to test it just yet.

However, I think saying impossible is a little bit hasty, natural science is designed to constantly seek for new "truths", it takes a lot to say something is absolutely impossible in any scale, any frame of reference.

Best of luck;

• one of the best answers ive read or heard on anything heh

good answer time traveler !

YOU ARE NOT FROM HERE EITHER ! ^_^

lol

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, it is not. The past has happened already.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Anything is possible in science, including the "Big Bang," Little Green men from Mars and being present at 2 different places at the same time. We do know from relativity theory that there is no such thing as absolute time. Different observers have different clocks that run at different speeds. Unfortunately, we have no idea yet how to travel back in time. There may well be a way to do it, but we have no idea how to do it currently.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.