Dante asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

Life Advice: How Do I Get Myself Back Together?

I've reached the conclusion that I'm in a depression rut.

I’m a 24 year old college student who still lives at home. I’m only 5’8, 120 lbs and I hate it because I want to gain 40-50 lbs. I average 4 hours of sleep a night, I’ll go a day or 2 without showering, sometimes forget to brush my teeth in the morning, barely putting any effort in anything I do unless I’m playing a video game. I will even go full days without eating or ever getting hungry. I’m introverted and slightly shy. I don’t like to start conversations because I’m not a good conversation starter and that makes it hard for me to try and talk to girls on a Friday night out. I’m extremely talkative with people I’m more familiar and comfortable with (I hope this is normal). I haven’t uploaded any new pictures to social media of myself since my last relationship either (5 years single)

So I guess my question would be, is this normal to be and feel so disconnected and depressed to this point? How do regain the confidence I lost? How do I become a better conversation starter? How do I get motivated to do more? How do I change my mental so that I can accomplish overcoming these problems I have with myself?

I just don’t know what to do with myself anymore and I can feel myself withering away as a dying flame tries to keep me going.

• Chanel

Do things that make you happy and work at them.

You have loads of time to change your life as 24 is no age these days.

It sounds like depression mixed with social anxiety, in my entirely non-professional opinion.

Both are treatable conditions. Depression responds very well to medications, anxiety to cognitive behavior therapy.

Start with your doctor. Tell him or her that you are not eating or sleeping enough, that you don't bathe or perform other basic hygiene, that you have no motivation to do much of anything, and that you're not socially interacting with others. Ask if the doctor thinks it's depression and what you should do about it.