Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

Professors, is it frustrating to you when a student says that your subject is just not for them and they will never excel in it?

• oikoσ

Not so much frustrating as presenting a challenge.

Of course it's frustrating to have a student who is so close-minded, dismissive. They won't put in the effort, tend to complain a lot, and are your basic pain-in-the-butt.

• Snezzy

It is far more discouraging when an old, white guy teacher (me, something I've done occasionally, but not now) overhears one student telling another to stop doing well in school because it's "too white" to do that. Old white guy (me) has no answer, no approach for helping at all. Anything I might say would be "racist".

I've mentioned the problem to black colleagues and black parents, as well as to black students, and none of them had any good answers, either.

The standard student difficulty of "hating" mathematics comes directly from not working each problem, alone or with little help from others. That's something I CAN help with, giving suggestions but never the answer. Some math students get pushed ahead of their current abilities and are stuck. You can't do fractions unless you have subtraction and division working thoroughly, inside your head.

No. We're happy that at least a few people are honest enough for a realistic assessment of their own abilities and preferences. So neither they nor we lose time with mediocrity and can focus on worthier endeavors.