2.3GHz Intel Core i5-8300H (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.0GHz) OR 2.8GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ (dual-core, 6MB cache, up to 3.8GHz)?

whats better For gaming... video editing....

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best answer

The CPU is not the only component to consider when choosing a machine. The matching RAM and better GPU is also a factor involved. The Core i5 has a larger cache size than the i7. The cache on a CPU is used by the CPU to prepare data that it predicts will be needed next. The larger and faster the cache the better. The i7 has a faster base clock speed which means that the system will process information faster when in a low performance and power saving state.

The i5 has a high boost speed so when the system needs more performance, it can perform better under heavy loads. The i5 supports faster RAM than the i7 which allows information to be transferred between the RAM and CPU faster and therefore has a higher memory bandwidth.

The built in graphics are pretty much the same however the clock speed is slightly faster on the i7.

Basically these processors are almost identical. I wouldn't be surprised if the design of this i7 was used for the new generation of the i5 and a few tweaks were done for improvement. (Power efficiency and performance)

For games and videos, it's better to look into getting a high performance GPU. GPU's are specifically designed for graphics whereas CPU's are designed more on the side of number and instruction set crunching.

Judging by the name of the CPU, you're looking at a laptop. Find one with a decent dedicated graphics chip and you're good to go. If I'm wrong and you're actually looking at a desktop, please don't go for a Quadro card. They're awesome and incredibly powerful but they are not designed for games and video editting. They're designed for number crunching on an immense level. Things like CAD and drawing apps require this kind of card although normal GPU's will do the trick too.

• 5 months ago

the i5 should be slightly better, Note they are both 4 core. there are 3 things to consider, its whole benchmark, its single thread benchmark and then the fact it may apply cpu throttling to keep temperatures low. Basically the newer laptop cpu's such as the 8300H wont run at high speeds for long and it has two variants, the + version adds intel optane so check the actual model first. Optane helps in some respects but may actually slow some applications for short periods. the links provide details and a comparison of the benchmarks im talking about. *** remember although newer seems better it also has to be mindful that its got to make the battery last longer to be competitive in the market place, so what I am saying is its designed to GO SLOW to use less power although you can adjust settings to make it always operate at the higher frequency(which should be avoided for obvious heat related reasons).

• 5 months ago

No the i7 is NOT several times faster and the i5 is not significantly better either. People need to look up the specs. The Core i5 8300H is newer so it has the same core count as the older Core i7 7700HQ and the specs between the both of these processors is fairly similar. The i7 has a higher base speed but the i5 has a higher Turboboost speed.

Gaming requires a video card but video editing only requires a video card for faster video playback, in which case video playback is reviewing the video you just edited. Some video editing programs will use the IGP for hardware acceleration. Either way you could edit videos with either CPU but the process might take longer. If you're editing videos professionally and time matters then you'd want to edit videos on a desktop.

• 5 months ago

the faster one. in this case, the i5

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lv 7
    5 months ago

the Core i7 is several times faster.

however, a video card is essentiak for both gaming and video editing.

if they are laptops, be sure it is dedicated video, not integrated or on-CPU. desktops are really better for video/gaming.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Core i5-8300H (quad-core, 8MB cache, up to 4.0GHz)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.