Lv 5
. asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

If Trump wins the election in 2020, there's a major chance the US won't be a functioning democracy anymore. Is this Good or Bad?

NOTE: I understand the US is a Republic, but as of now and before, the nation's political system has always been a Democratic Republic. And if this Republic fails to be a democracy, understand the opposite of democracy is an autocracy

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/oppo...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • BMCR
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

And why would Trump winning the election in 2020 be any different than him winning in 2016?

And why exactly would that translate into a FAILURE of democracy?

(I say this as a person who doesn't like Trump but who also thinks some of the criticisms of him are way over the top.)

• 6 months ago

Electors are democratically elected by the voters in each state, just as the Constitution directs. BTW, Trump's campaign strategy was based on winning Electoral votes, not popular votes and if he had spent more time campaigning in states like CA and NY where he had no chance of winning the Electoral votes, could well have won the national popular vote.

• American Atheist
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

and if the Russians had not helped him he most certainly would not have won Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and not won the electoral vote either

• Chris
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

The US was never a democracy, Einstein.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I only defend a democratic republic. I will not serve nor defend the leaders of an autocracy.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If Trump gets another 4years it would mean the end of our democracy and it will weaken America leaving America vulnerable to attacks by our adversaries such as Russia, China, North Korea.

• Jim2
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If that happens, definitely bad. Wow. Three thumbs down? I guess people want some kind of dictatorship.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The democrats are the ones that cannot accept election results. It started with bush and is now is becoming standard operating procedure. The democrats are the only threat to our rights and freedom.

• American Atheist
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

bush lost the popular vote, Trump lost the popular vote and benefited from interference from a foreign government, our unacceptance is not baseless

• 6 months ago

being a republic does not mean it is not a democracy, it only means it is not a direct democracy, anyone who says being a republic means it is not a democracy is an idiot who most likely does not know what it means to be a republic, don't listen to them

the opposite of democracy is totalitarianism

2016 tested our democracy already, a foreign government interfered and their actions more then likely caused Trump to win, this is bypassing democracy, and the will of the people, to supplant it with the will of a foreign government, if this happens again this would be ominous, once is an oversight and a blip on history, twice is a takeover

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Best for you to get to a safe space and hide. Get back in the closet.

• Jerome
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

That's the plan.

Democracy must fall for those in power to retain this power.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.