Anonymous

Should I fire my new employee?

I just hired a new girl to work the summer at our ice cream shop. She started 3 weeks ago. Last Monday (her 2nd week) she asked to leave 1.5 hours early due to a family emergency. Today when I’m very short staffed she called in sick with the stomach bug. It has been going around the shop 2 of my other employees have also called out sick (which is why I’m so short staffed) Im very angry she’s 22 so she is older then my other employees so I expected more from her as far as dependability. I asked her if she could try to come in tonight and close and she told me she has a fever and is vomiting. She also apparently went to the doctor and has a note. I’m strongly considering firing her as I’m finding she’s not dependable. She’s already left early once last week and is now calling out today. What is everyone’s thoughts? She’s a great worker and when she DOES come to work she’s always early or right on time.

Dumb answers above. The issue is not that she is sick. The issues is dependability. Yes, fire her. She blew her probationary period twice now. Bugs going around doesn't mean everyone will get it. If she can't keep herself healthy to do the job, and she already took off once during her probationary period, I'd fire her. She is not dependable. She can be the greatest employee of them all but if she isn't there when she should be, and she's only 3 weeks into the job, she won't be any help when she isn't there.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • Paul5 months agoReport

I'm sure you love eating at restaurants where people with nasty abdominal sickness are forced to work and hack all over the food. You can have it.

If a "bug" is making the rounds, you cannot fire her for catching it from coworkers. She's legitimately sick & has a doctor's note.

BTW, you should make sure proper food handling procedures are followed, ensure your shop is thoroughly clean. If your staff is getting sick, you have a health & safety procedure problem.

You were going to let someone work with food when she was sick? You should be fired for that. Allowing someone sick to work with food will make the customers sick and may get the business shut down by the health department.

As an employer I would say a little patience here. If, and warn her when she returns, it becomes habitual then let her go. Meaning if she calls in again in the next 3 months even the let her go.

OMG boomer calling everyone else dumb, how dumb is that paralegal crap you post with every anser that is so horrendous?

• Never

Keep in mind she has some experience and it would cost you to train someone else.

When I was a restaurant manager WAY BACK WHEN, I never fired anyone. But I would cut hours of those who were not as good. I did not have a big problem with people calling in sick. One of my best waitresses did not have a ride or a babysitter one day. She was supposed to work 12-9. But she would have a babysitter at 5:30. So, I got by without her during the day and then went & picked her up later and then had an assistant manager take her home when she got off.

Its your call. But I never held actual sickness against anyone. And I did not demand anyone come in on their off days. (Most would because they wanted the hours)

I never had more employees than I needed and turnover was constant so I pretty much hired everyone who came in.

If she is a great worker, I would give her some leeway. As long as "calling in" does not become an epidemic by her and others.

• Judy

Your call, but anyone can catch a stomach bug, and you don't want her in your shop vomiting. I'd wait.

You know for a fact the stomach bug has been going around the ice cream shop and you'd rather her come in and serve FOOD to people than stay home?

Something is wrong with you.

You are the manager. It's your job to be prepared for staff absences and to deal with them. That's what you make the big bucks for.

• DEBS

If you're asking here for management advice, you should get out of the business quickly.

She left a little early for an emergency and then she called out legitimately sick. You say she's a really good worker and otherwise dependable. Do you have people like that lined up around the block to replace her? I doubt it. She sounds like a good employee. You don't sound like a good boss.

• Rei

She's sick. Do you want er showing up and making everyone else sick, too?