What do the scientists behind the plan to colonize Mars plan on doing about Mars’ scarce magnetic field?

The constant bombardment of solar winds with zero protection would shorten people’s lives dramatically and make everybody hypersensitive to developing some sort of cancer, right?... or no?

not a problem, just put radiation proof insulation in the space suits

• Paula

All the "plans" I have seen ignore the problem.

With habitats built on the Martian surface.

I add that the same applies to Moon Base structures and orbiting structures (such as the proposed "gateway".

Radiation is a real threat to astronauts.

Both sun's radiation and cosmic rays.

We are protected from both by earth's atmosphere.

But structures in space or on the moon or Mars have no atmosphere to protect them.

Building underground - on Mars - would be a solution.

But none of the current "plans" is intending to do this.

Draw your own conclusion re the validity of current plans.

What do you mean "colonize Mars"?

- Sending temporary missions to Mars? (at least 2 years though!).

Although there are not yet solid projects and space agencies call it a draft project, they present this kind of mission as an option to wannabe astronauts, and aerospace manufacturers R&Ds seriously study interplanetary rockets and transfer vehicles, long haul life support, etc.

- Terraforming Mars and make it a spare planet for humankind?

This is not an ongoing project. At the best a case study for planetology students.

By the way, some case study results predict several centuries to millennia of steady efforts by the whole humanity united around this project

It's possible to shield an environment from that. I may be wrong but I think thick layers of polypropylene or polythene would do it. When the Stanford Torus was designed, they estimated that about two metres of lunar rock would be enough.

Strengthen the Magnetic Field

Mars could also do with added mass to melt the core

Mass could give added Gravity

Mars could have a decent Atmosphere again

Source(s): Why? Because it is there

Protective habitats, they already have that covered.

Colonizing, I just don't see happening.

You are right. And since Mars has no ozone layer, people would get terrible sunburn in minutes.

People must always be covered by spacesuits or inside shelters that block ultraviolet light and solar wind particles. They might need a thin layer of lead. (or a thick layer)

• Clive

Of course scientists know all about this. It's only ignorant politicians who think we might be able to colonise Mars.

I don't really know of any scientists who plan on colonizing Mars... I know a few who'd like to set up a base there - something like what we have in Antarctica... people go there with experiments or research they'd like to perform, then at the end of their tour, they go home. I could see this on Mars - it's very similar to how visits are conducted on the space station also. But... an actual *colony*.... No.

Bring our own electromagnets probably.

• CarolOklaNola

Where does the iron for the magnets come from? There is no mining infrastructure on Mars.