Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 5 months ago

Moving question?!?!?

I’m not saying I’m doing this or that this is possible but I live in a small town in Canada I am a 19 year old female and I was thinking about saving money over the summer and moving to Toronto but I was just thinking I love warm weather and I’ve always been fond of California and Florida and warm places like that so I was wondering if I’d be able to move there like if I found a job there would I be able to get a work visa fast? Am I old enough to move to the states for work? If not how can I get just a visa if that’s possible and how long does it take to get one etc.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You are not old enough to have the education, job experience, or skills that would qualify you for a work visa. Work visas are for professionals with advanced degrees, unique job experience, a history of publishing, and all of that in an area that no available American has the skills to do.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Unless you've managed to develop mastery of a TN List occupation at the tender age of 19 you wouldn't qualify for a US work visa (unless you've got some extraordinary accomplishments in the arts or sport). As a Canadian you could visit the US for up to six months each year. You just couldn't work legally here.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No you can't choose to move to the US and work, that would make you an illegal

• 5 months ago

No, you could not get a work visa fast, and you almost certainly could not get one at all. Even a lifetime isn't always long enough.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

The answer from ibu guru is correct, and it would be the same for an American who wanted to "move" to Canada.

• 5 months ago

NO chance you are "moving" to the US. You have no qualifications for any type of employment visa. Only qualified employers can apply for any employment visa for their qualified foreign employee, and you remain in your own country while their application is processed, your visa interview is at the nearest US consulate to your home in Canada, etc.

Even for short-term, seasonal labor, e.g. resort work, employers really want only experienced waiters & similar resort staff, experienced ski instructors at ski resorts (they are especially fond of Olympic & World champions for the advertising/PR value of having someone internationally renowned), etc. Many resort jobs do not pay enough to cover the very high costs of short-term housing in resort areas, so make sure you find a place with dorm accommodations for staff. Such jobs often last less than 4-6 months, and you return home immediately. Last day of full-time employment is the last day your visa is valid, so get home by the next day.

If you want to go to university in the US, and if you meet all requirements for admission to university, you could study in US. But you are required as a condition of student visas to return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. Foreign students (including Canadians!) are strictly prohibited from working in US. IF you were awarded Work-Study as part of a financial aid package (hard to get), you could work on campus up to 20 hrs/wk. The money will NOT be enough to pay either school or living expenses. To study abroad, you must prove you & your parents have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to country of citizenship. Expect to need a minimum of USD50,000/yr for 4 yrs for bachelor's programs. Costs tend to be higher in California, especially cost of living.

Canadian citizens are allowed visa-free entry to US for up to 180 days in any 365-day period, but that is SOLELY for tourism, and you may be required to prove you have sufficient funds for all typical tourist expenses: return transportation, hotels, restaurant meals, sightseeing, etc. You cannot work, look for work, or do anything which indicates any intent to remain, or lose those visa-free privileges forever.

• Damien
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

let me break your fantasies and bring u to reality, you need 1800 per month just for renting one bedroom not including other expenses as food, transportation, entertainment, once u earn that much per month, u can move whereever u want.

• 5 months ago

just do visa paper work and green papers and you be find then you can if you want in 10 year file for citizenship but just cannot move here WITHOUT PAPER WORK like us moving to canada

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.