Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 5 months ago

is cruise control safe?

stupid question but im a new driver who just started driving on the highway, i just wanna start using cruise control

• Mark

On long trips in light traffic very safe. But I wouldn't use it in the city on a street or freeway with heavy traffic or if I had the tendency to get drowsy. There's something about ending up in a ditch, upside down that ruins the day.

Not if you are driving in hills, sharp turns and bad weather.

• Edna

In my own opinion, cruise control is only another thing that can go wrong. I never use it.

About the only place you can use cruise control is if you're always going to be traveling at a pre-set rate of speed for miles down an open interstate highway. You sure can't use it in city traffic. City traffic is too much "stop-and-go" to make using cruise control practical.

The highway I travel frequently is not well used so I engage cruise control for most of my travel time.

But if I come across other traffic I always disengage the cruise control for safety. And I never use it anywhere near the city or built up areas.

It is safe. I never use it. I have to have my right foot doing something.

Yes, it's safer than most drivers.

A couple of points though;

If you need to slow down USE THE BRAKES! that will cut the cruise control off till you reset it, Don't fiddle with the buttons as that doesn't slow you down fast enough.

And if you need to go a bit faster, hit the gas, then let the speed back to the CC setting, or reset it at the faster speed.

Remember it's you doing the driving!

It's safe unless you have a Tesla but don't think it's anything like autopilot in an aircraft. Basic cruise control only keeps your car at or around your pre-selected speed. You still have to steer and brake etc. It's just there to give your right foot a break on long trips. Some cars have adaptive cruise control that uses a radar to sense cars in front that are slower than you, and will apply brake as required, then speed back up to your pre-selected speed when it's Ok to do so. You should understand what type your car has fitted.

Yes, it's safe, as long as you continue to steer and stay ready to brake for sudden events. Your foot should still rest lightly on the pedal to remind yourself what you're doing, but don't freak if it moves by itself to maintain speed.

"On" makes it ready, "Set" it by holding it briefly when you are comfortable and the highway is not crowded. Tapping "Set" again will increase speed a little. Whatever the other button is labeled will slow a little if you tap it and decelerate if you hold it... but don't try to use that as a substitute for braking.

It will take itself offline when you tap the brake, so don't worry about that, just react as you're supposed to in a situation.

Cruise control is *great*. I still recall the first time I got to use it in my first car that had that system.

It very, very much relieves a lot of stress and discomfort in driving very long distances on super highway type roads. And, you don't want to use it ijn heavier traffic or iffy road conditions, such as snow, ice or rain.

So, when it's on, keep your foot ready to go to the brake pedal so as to turn it off, and/or keep a finger close to the Off button.

It's great when you have long(ish) distances to travel, like on highways. It will keep your speed within close limits of what you set it at. Yes, it's safe -- you still can take it off if road/driving conditions require it.

The only time I ever had problems with cruise control was when I was on an icy road, and hit a huge patch of black ice -- luckily, the car was the only thing damaged... (lesson: don't drive with cruise control on slick roads!)