Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 6 months ago

How many Americans can trace their families back to being a slave?

I am referring to the Americans who are of black, Chinese, Japanese and Irish descent.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They can almost do it by family name and year. For example, if your great, great grandma had a certain Irish last name when she came into the US, she was probably dirt poor and got to the US as an indentured servant.

• 6 months ago

The Ottomans enslaved millions and millions of White people. Africans also enslaved White people. Africans still enslave Africans to this day!!!

• 6 months ago

Most American Blacks are probably descended from people who were brought to the western hemisphere from Africa as slaves. Nearly all of them were from western Africa.

I don't think there were any Irish or Japanese who were actual slaves. There might not have been much practical difference in daily life for an indentured servant (compared with a slave) but they weren't slaves.

There were Chinese slaves but not very many of them.

There were Native American slaves.

There were also Black slave owners and Native American slave owners.

• fatboysdaddy
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The first slave of this country was an indentured Irish man.

• 6 months ago

Two of my relatives were indentured servants. That's a bit like a slave but with a contract specifying the end of the term. A term typically lasted seven years.

Mark was one of them; he was my great grandfather 7X removed. He was English born in Leicester England. He landed in the colonies in 1702.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.