Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 5 months ago

Why do CPUs have multiple cores instead of one core with like 30 GHz?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

single core means only a single process can use it at a time, multiple cores is better for having different processes running simultaneously OS/game/discord/web browser etc can all run at same time.

While processors were initially a single core I think the power/heat required for a 30GHz speed would be too much outside of requiring liquid nitrogen to cool it.

• 5 months ago

30 GHz cpu speed is not technically possible

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It doesn't work like that, or at least it doesn't work the way you think it does.

Silicon based processors have trouble clocking beyond 5ghz. I have an older 8-core Intel CPU and even if I disable all but one core and turn off Hyperthreading, it will still have trouble clocking beyond 5.0ghz.

Before Intel introduced their first genuine Dual-Core CPU back in 2006, they were kicking around the Pentium 4 which was a single core design. The Pentium D was two Pentium 4 chips that were slapped together. Intel could have release a consumer Pentium 4 that would have clocked beyond 4.0ghz but the heat and power consumption was too high.

They could pack more transistors, cache, loaders, and whatnot into a single core which would make it bigger, but this larger chip would still not be able to clock much past 5ghz.

Typically, whenever there was a die shrink, the smaller chip was not able to handle as much voltage as it's predecessor. 32nm processors can handle 1.5v for short amounts of time, but 1.5v would rapidly destroy a 22nm processor. Even with great cooling, these processors can only handle so much voltage. Intel did make some refinements to the 14nm and some of their 14nm processors can handle 1.5v but for only very brief instances. Being able to clock to some insane speed like 10.0ghz would require more voltage than what the Silicon can handle.

• John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The other answer is true if a little cynical. The main advantage is multi threading. It's not just speed. My i7 has 6 cores. Especially if I have a complex task - I do 3d graphics here - the motherboard will give instructions to all 6 cores at the same time. So it's not like one big worker, it's like 6 people working on parts of the same task, at the same time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because Moore's "law" failed back in the 2000's since the main reason for increased performance at higher clock frequencies was improved lithography technology and we reached the point where making things smaller actually was having a negative impact on performance. (These days, smaller lithography is done primarily to make a device CHEAPER by requiring less refined silicon, rather than making it faster [since you get quite a bit of loss now and have all kinds of error checks to prevent issues from being noticed by the user)

Now, you can get faster by using exotic metals, or super cooling the processor... but that would cause prices to be outrageous for the consumer market.

multi-core is the effect of having nothing more to do with the silicon, the same as putting a GPU on the CPU is just because they don't have anything more to do with the silicon. The single core is tiny and they do what they can to improve the thermals but not much left that they can do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.