How much would this computer be worth, and would anyone buy it anyway?

The computer has an intel core i3 quad processor

Nvidia GTX 770

8 gigs of RAM

Looking to upgrade to a system that's $799.99, would selling my current PC be worth it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

The newer Intel 8th and 9th Generation processors are true quad-cores and they're decent budget processors for gaming, just as long as the system has a decent graphics card. Anything from the 1st to the 7th Generation is a dual-core with Hyperthreading, and the Operating system will recognize the older i3 processors as having 4 logical cores. Unfortunately for you the Core i3 has a bad word of mouth reputation which will make selling that PC a hassle because the i3 is not known for offering an optimal Gaming Experience. Today, a good 6-core CPU is needed for Gaming at the highest settings.

The GTX 770 was high end back in 2013 but modern games have exceeded it's capabilities. The most demanding of the Modern Games need a Graphics card with 4gb of Video RAM which puts the 2gb version of the GTX 770 at even more of a disadvantage. The GTX 770 isn't hopeless because you can still play modern games with it at lower screen resolutions.

I don't see you getting much out of your used PC. On craigslist I've seen systems with an older Core i5 and a GTX 770, GTX 680, R9 280x, or 7970 going for less than $300.

One thing that's overlooked is your expectations and needs for a new gaming PC. A lot of this revolves around the monitor you're going to use because that's the most overlooked bottleneck. What's the point of having an RTX 2070 and a nice Core i7 or Ryzen 7 CPU if you're going to play games on a standard 60hz-75hz 1080p display? You'd need at least a 1080p 144hz monitor to make good use of a setup like that.

Personally I would recommend looking at upgrading that PC with used parts if your fps goal is going to be between 60fps-75fps. The used or should I say the 2nd hand market is still flooded with capable cards like the RX 570, RX 580 and the 6gb GTX 1060. ebay is also flooded with used and cheap i7 and Xeon E3-1200 series processors which might be compatible with your system. Processors like the Core i7 3770 and 4770 are still good for gaming in 2019. You will have to figure out which processors are compatible with your system before making the purchase. Since you already have a GTX 770, you should be good with the power supply requirement.

• YKhan
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

$100 to $200, if you're lucky. I think you can upgrade most of that to something far better, for less than $800. You can get probably upgrade to a 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 system, with 16 GB of RAM, B450 motherboard, and an RX 570 video card for less than $800. You can probably even add in an 500 GB SSD boot drive, under that budget.

• YKhan
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Here's a sample system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v8wfNQ

• 5 months ago

You might have about 150.00 worth of hardware there.

• 5 months ago

you might get $50 for it ... assuming you can demonstrate that it works

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • stan l
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

SMFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Which Core i3 are you talking about? The Core i3-8100 is probably worth $100 while a Core i3-2100 is worth $10-15.

The GTX 770 is worth 70-80 dollars.

All in all your system might be worth $250 but its hard to say unless you list the full specs.

Depending on which socket you have, you might be able to upgrade your current system with parts that are more powerful than what’s in the $799.99 PC. You can build a pretty good gaming PC for $800 but you’re probably not going to get a very good Prebuilt PC for $800.

• 5 months ago

You can get about $125 for it on eBay. make sure whatever you're upgrading to has a faster processor than what you have now I know a lot of people that have gone out to get what they thought was an upgrade and the ended up buying an i5 or an i7 processor that was only 1.9 gigahertz when they had a processor that was a 3.1 gigahertz processor to start with. Most software is designed to run with one or two cores and can't take advantage of the fact that your computer has a quad or an octa-core processor. So if you get yourself such a processor that has slower processing speeds but more cores you're not getting anything except behind. If you're already the owner of a fast processor the best upgrade you can get for yourself is to put a good SSD into the computer. it'll make what you have lightning fast for a very little money.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.