Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Air Force reserve, Security forces. Asking Airmen out there that are secfo, How do you like it?

I enlisted in Air Force reserves. Leaving to Bmt on July 8th. Job is security forces.

Wanted to get some input on how it is ? I know some people love it and some hate it, mostly anything I can find is old opinions from years ago. Keep in mind I get some of you who are active and not reserve, that it is literally your full time job and life. So I know some hate doing that everyday and some don’t care, but as a reservist I only have to do my 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year so it may not be nearly as stressful for me to stand guard at a gate for one weekend a month, when you may have to 5 days a week.... I am asking reservist for the most part. How are your weekends? How is it overall for you? I am doing secfo mainly to push for a good law enforcement civilian career. 6 year contract here. Who knows maybe at the end of those 6 I’ll sign again or maybe I’ll be done with it, only the future will tell. I understand anyone who answers, that it is your own person opinion and I will be glad to hear it.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

what does being security forces have to do with civilian law enforcement?

it can actually be a negative on an application

• 6 months ago

AS said by others, it won't help you with civilian LE. You generally won't do much but stand around a gate, and occasionally respond to a party or domestic dispute in the barracks or housing. Essentially everyone who isn't SF will hate or generally dislike you. The place you should want to end up, depending how long you decide to stay in the military, is DAGRE. It's a Security Forces unit but is under AFSOC.

You'll have to decide whether you think this life will be enjoyable or not.

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

DAGRE isn't a unit. They are small teams formed with DAGRE trained cops within AFSOC and AFSOC-gained ARC security forces squadrons.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

going SF in the military will NOT help in any way shape or form getting you a civilian LE career. in fact it will probably hurt. two completely different ideologies and missions.

• ?
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You will find out for yourself.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

1. Being Security Forces in the AF is not going to help you get a job in a civilian law enforcement agency.

2. STOP calling it secfo.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

First and most important lesson--never, ever say 'secfo' again.

Source(s): 20 years in security forces
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.