mary asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

does my dog remember i’m mad at him?

i yelled at my dog and when i got back downstairs he cane to greet me but was different. he laid on the floor with his ears back.

Yes and if you were unduly rough with him, he's now not very confident to be around you, sadly. I found, pretty quickly that with my male hounds especially, it was very easy to 'demolish' them if too harsh with correction. Dogs are very forgiving however, so if you are kind to him going forward, he'll be ok. He's major submissing to you at the moment. Be careful - if he has a sensitive nature, and becomes fearful, he could go to fear biting.

• patty

yes he must have

When dogs do this they are looking for clues as to how mad you are. Yelling at your dog isn't the most effective thing to make him behave as it can make your pet unsure. Learn to give effective commands without yelling. All your dog is looking for is leadership from you as his pack leader. When he gets it, it leaves him feeling secure and knowing what it is he's supposed to do. At the moment he's really not sure what that is.

• Ben

Yeah I think they do for a bit. Just not sure for how long. Maybe he needs to interact with other people for a bit before forgetting your negative interaction with him.

• Maxi

Yes he knows you are angry, it is unlikely he knows or remembers why

• Jojo

Yes, of course he remembers, and was showing submission and appeasement towards you. Obviously he`s quite a sensitive natured dog.

Maybe

Dogs are capable, of remembering that you are mad at them.

One time my Dog ate some food from my father's plate, my father got mad and whooped the dog.

The dog never ate food off of his plate like that again.