Should I be grounded for honking the horn when I was going to be late for work?

Mom grounded me from driving my truck and is making me ride in the middle since my little sister found a pack of cigarettes a friend left in there a few weeks ago. Yesterday morning, mom was supposed to drop me at my job by 10 then take my sister to the pool. My sister was running behind and mom told me to get in... show more Mom grounded me from driving my truck and is making me ride in the middle since my little sister found a pack of cigarettes a friend left in there a few weeks ago.

Yesterday morning, mom was supposed to drop me at my job by 10 then take my sister to the pool. My sister was running behind and mom told me to get in the truck when I tried to rush them.

I got in my truck and a few minutes later, my sister and then mom got in and I thought I would get to work on time. As mom was putting the key in the ignition, my sister told mom she forgot her float and mom went back in the house to get it.

While mom was in the house, I saw it was 9:50 and knew we had to leave now to get there by 10. I started laying on the horn to let mom know until I saw her coming out of the house.

Mom threw the float in the bed and then walked off. Around 10:10 she finally got back in the truck and drove to the pool to drop my sister off first.

When mom was finally taking me to work, she fussed at me about honking the horn, and told me I was now grounded from driving or choosing my seat until school starts back for being rude.

I think mom’s punishment is not fair. I would have never honked the horn at her if I was not running late for work. I was ready to go on time and she and my sister were the ones running behind.

How should I explain to mom this punishment is unfair and I should not be grounded again? I think not getting to work until after 10:30 was enough punishment.
Update: I have been sharing my truck with mom since her van died in January and think she is unfairly using this as an excuse to keep driving my truck and hold off buying a new vehicle. I could deal with her taking my truck for another week of two but all summer seems really excessive when she and my sister were the... show more I have been sharing my truck with mom since her van died in January and think she is unfairly using this as an excuse to keep driving my truck and hold off buying a new vehicle.

I could deal with her taking my truck for another week of two but all summer seems really excessive when she and my sister were the ones who made me late to work. It was really embarrassing being over 30 minutes late and having my boss ask if I would keep being unreliable.
Update 2: The ONLY reason I was waiting in the truck was because Mom made me get in and buckle-up since I was ready to go when I was trying to rush she and my sister. When my sister asked for her float, mom said she would get it since she had the keys and for us to stay in the truck. Hoping I can get some rides from... show more The ONLY reason I was waiting in the truck was because Mom made me get in and buckle-up since I was ready to go when I was trying to rush she and my sister.

When my sister asked for her float, mom said she would get it since she had the keys and for us to stay in the truck.

Hoping I can get some rides from people I work with eventually, but for now Mom is going to drive me everywhere are part of my punishment.