Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Do remodeled older homes and condos still have asbestos? Should I care as a renter?

I’m looking at some old houses and condos in Connecticut. They have clearly been remodeled. Modern kitchens, new carpets or wood floors, etc.

Is it safe to assume that in this process asbestos should have been removed.

Remodeling does not necessarily neccesitate removal of asbestos, if it was there. If it was remodeled by a reputable company, I'd say yes it would be safe to assume.... Removal requires a hazmat suit and a professional to do the job. It isn't cheap, so you have asked a very good question. I'd ask more questions of the landlord.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

It is extremely dangerous to remove asbestos, so it is usually left in place if at all possible.

Unless walls have been removed it's not safe to assume that.

The danger in asbestos is not in the asbestos-containing building materials being present, but in disturbing them. The remediation process turned out to be worse than just leaving old wallboard alone.

Have a look at this.

http://www.ehso.com/cssasbestos/asbestosfoundwhere...

Only exposed asbestos is harmful. People live in homes with asbestos for years and nothing happens.

If it was a major remodel, they'd have removed any asbestos they found,t hey are required to do so.

As a renter, it shouldn't be a concern. Just don't disturb it and you'll be fine.

Owners have liability concerns, so they remediate...which is costly. Since the cost is high, not all landlords are super motivated to get this done and are willing to roll the dice.

Just don't mess with the asbestos and you'll be fine. Its one of the best insulators ever...but when you try to remove it, the dust is severely carcinogenic.

It's only dangerous if it's been disturbed/exposed.

You could always ask the landlord if you could have the home inspected but you'd risk giving them the impression that you may be a difficult tenant. Honestly, there are so many complaints from tenants about things like rodents, mold, HVAC issues, appliances, leaks, etc. I'm kind of surprised that pre-inspections haven't become a "thing" for renters.

They could still have asbestos, I've seen many homes with asbestos and sometimes I even buy them. Asbestos isn't dangerous just sitting there but these homes could still have it.

No. Asbestos left alone is not dangerous. As long as you don't disturb it, it is just OK.

Peace.

I believe they ended the manufacturing of asbestos in the mid 80’s but some businesses were allowed to finish what they had . It is usually in popcorn ceilings or pipe insulation