Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

My Fish Tank killed ALL my fish!!?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank, it has a heater, double filter, light, gravel, etc.. I had it for a while now, when I first got fish they were fine. Over time they died from being overfed (swimbladder) because I was inexperienced at the time. I learned a lot now.. recently I had 5 goldfish in the aquarium and they were doing fine I did water changes, I made sure to feed them precisely, and one by one they started dying of dropsy.. I only had 3 left and one day I noticed that they ALL had dropsy. I separated them and meditated them with kanaplex and only fed them peas mashed with the medicine. They all died anyway... my question is should I take the chance of disinfecting the tank and starting all over or should I just get rid of the tank and get a new one?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

To me it is clear that the tank and its contents are contaminated. You safest option would be to put the tank and everything associated with it into the trash and start with everything new.

Please do not sell off the items, it will only kill other fish

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Fish tanks don't kill fish

Dropsy is highly unlikely

Getting rid of the tank is silly

Obviously you keep doing something wrong and aren't correcting whatever it is

Edit

I'm not saying the tank killed them I'm saying something in the tank could have killed them. I'm not sure if I did something that caused the fish to get sick and die?

Tayuyya Uchiha · 2 hours ago

Diagnosing fish problems requires reviewing everything you do, everything you use, all the chemicals, maintenance, aquarium specifications, filter, fish and water chemistry test results. There are some common mistakes people make and you'd have to rule them out first.

The main reason I answered at all was to try to counter a couple of the absolutely stupid suggestions you got. There's no need to throw away the tank.

• I'm not saying the tank killed them I'm saying something in the tank could have killed them. I'm not sure if I did something that caused the fish to get sick and die?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The tank didn't kill them OR are you claiming the tank was sealed with something that wasn't safe for your fish?

I would dump everything that is replaceable and not a solid fixture. What IS a solid fixture should be scrubbed down with bleach and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.

There is no easy solution.

• 6 months ago

The tank didnt kill anything. Somthing in the water did, or somthing was wrong with them before you got them.

They had dropsey? are you sure? there scales were pinecpning? in all 5 of them?

If that is true. then i think i would go ahaed and break down the tank. remove and replace the filter media. remove and clean the gravel and the tank with hot water You could go a step further and soack and wipe everything with a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution. Do not soak anything longer then 15 minutes, especially the silicone in the tank!, rinse everything 10, 20 times. then let it dry for 24-48 hours, and add water dechlorinater to the tank water and let the filter run before adding fish.

"that is probobly not neccassary" but its up to you.

• I had 3 fishes left and they all got dropsy, yes they were pinconing and I'm not saying the tank itself killed them I'm saying something inside the tank could have killed them. Yes it could have been something I did wrong but I'm asking for a reason..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.