Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

I have filed a lawsuit that will include a jury against a landlady. Now that the case is coming up shortly, the court has contacted me and?

it appears that they want me to report the expected length of the trial to them?

My questions are:

1. Is this typical for a jury trial? In the U.S. 2. And how am I (the plaintiff) supposed to know roughly how long the case will take? Answers such as ... get or talk to a lawyer - are not helpful.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Yes, it is typical for a court to try to anticipate how long the judge will be tied up. If you cannot estimate how long it will take for you to present your case, then you have not figured out what you intend to prove or how you intend to prove it. If your only evidence will be your testimony, then figure one morning for jury selection and the rest of the day for opening statements and your testimony. If you intend to call 45 witnesses, that will take longer. When you respond to the clerk, you can say how long for your case-in - chief but that you cannot predict the defense case. Btw, if you do not know what you are going to prove, and how, and you cannot anticipate the defense response, then you have virtually no chance unless the defense fails to show up.

• 5 months ago

What kind of a jury trial are you involved in without a lawyer? If you are doing it yourself you have a fool for a client.

• 5 months ago

YOU will not be standing in front of a jury, calling witnesses and presenting evidence and cross-examining witnesses for the defense and filing motions and all of the other things your lawyer does. So it is YOUR LAWYER who must answer this question.

It is typical of every trial, in front of a jury or in front of a judge. The court needs to know how much time to set aside for individual cases so they can plan their court docket. A trial that runs longer than expected pushes other things back, and a trial that was scheduled to last two weeks and was over in two days leaves a hole that might not be able to be filled by other cases. Both are bad, but that one is worse. Dead time is always the worst.

If for some reason you are trying this yourself instead of using a professional, aside from what they say about people who represent themselves having a fool for a client, you will have to estimate the amount of time you think it will take to present your case, have all of your witnesses there and ready to testify and be cross-examined, present your evidence. That's what the court wants. They will ask the defense for their estimate based on what you present them, and the court will make its own assumption of procedural time. You are on your own without a lawyer.

• 5 months ago

If you do not have a lawyer, and your landlord does, you are wasting your time, you will lose. And sorry you feel advice about hiring an attorney is not helpful. Your landlords attorney will find you not having an attorney VERY helpful. You have no clue what you are doing, court procedures, motions, relivent evidence, and what is and what is not allowed. Good luck you will need it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Yes, that's typical...for someone experienced with that sort of thing. Sounds like you filed pro se...are you sure that's wise for a jury trial that you're probably hoping to win??

From what I know, a typical civil case is estimated to take between 1-3 days.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.