Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Can I be on a lease but not fully live there, and keep my old address?

My boyfriend is looking for an apartment and found one he really likes. The issue is that it is a 2 BR, and the owner will not rent a 2 BR to a single tenant because it is considered "over housing," even though he can afford the apartment by himself. The owner said the only way he could get approved is with a roommate.

(The apartment complex is mostly for low-income families who receive rent assistance, but they do also rent at the base price without assistance. Even though my boyfriend will not need rent assistance and can afford a 2BR apartment at base price, they don't allow this because it's considered to be living beyond your means.)

When he moves, I was already planning on basically "half" moving in with him, as I would be spending a lot of time there. So I will have stuff there and be there often, but still primarily live with my parents. Can I sign the lease so that he can get approved, but not fully live there? If I sign the lease, do I have to update my insurance with that new address? I want to keep my parents' address as my address, because then I can stay under their car insurance and have other benefits. And I will mostly be living at that address anyways. But if I am on a lease, does that have to become my official address?

I'm new to all of this so I apologize if any of these are dumb questions.

12 Answers

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You can sign the contract and never live there if you want, however you will be legally responsible for the fall out with bf / he fails to pay rent/damages the property you are 100% responsible to pay as much as he is

  • 5 months ago

    You can do that, not an issue.

  • Never
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    I think you can be. And then minutes after you sign the lease you can have a change of heart and never fully move in or change your address. As long as the landlord gets paid, its not a big deal to them.

    However, if he flakes out for any reason, you can & will be stuck owing the bill and not paying could affect your chances of renting in the future.

    EDIT.. I was thinking since he is paying full price it would not be a problem but if full price IS still subsidized, then it could be considered fraud I guess.

    I am unsure.

  • 5 months ago

    It depends on the lease. The lease may require you to make the unit your primary residence and that will require it to be your only address. Read it carefully, and remember that what ever the landlord says that is not in the lease is meaningless.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

    Your boyfriend needs to rent from a non-subsidized building and then he can rent any size of unit that he wants.

    Sounds like you want to commit housing fraud.

    • Never
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

      He is paying full price. Are you saying full price is subsidized too?

  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    Legally you never need to move in. You could sign a lease and leave it vacant. As long as rent is paid the landlord doesn't care. (Local exceptions may exist for low income units.)

    In your situation, consider a pre-nup type agreement. There are questions here weekly about your situation going bad. You're not married. As much as you believe you're in a stable relationship, you are more at risk of breaking up than those that are. Get him to agree in writing that he is responsible for all rent, fees, damage, related to the lease unless otherwise agreed upon or until the lease is over and settled. It doesn't mean release you from liability with the landlord, but it does give you something solid to go after your then ex-boyfriend on if the worst case scenario happens where you breakup and he stops paying the rent.

  • 5 months ago

    And if you break up you owe the rent if he doesn't pay....

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Not dumb questions.

    There is no such thing as an "official" address. Many people have a mailing address that is different than where they actually live. The address is a non-issue.

    If your stuff is there and you hang out there and sometimes spend the night there, I'd guess that the landlord would consider that living there. I mean if you WERE NOT on the lease, they'd probably be raising their eyebrows about that.

    The bad idea about your plan is that if you are on your bf's lease, you're responsible for paying it if he doesn't. Your bf could trash your credit score and cause you to be sued if you don't pay for his apartment. Can you alone afford the rent there? If not, think long and hard about this. Your bf could break his leg and not be able to work for two months. Or he could decide he wants to move in with his new gf at her place.

    Morally speaking, is it cool for one person to "hog" a two bedroom unit in an affordable housing complex when the unit could provide housing for several financially challenged people who really need it? You'll have to decide whether your conscience can tolerate you stretching the truth to take something that is intended for disadvantaged people.

  • 5 months ago

    if you are going to be staying overnight a lot, you may be required to be on the lease.

    did you actually hear the landlord say that to him?????

    the landlord may not have understood he was paying full price himself....when taxpayers are footing the bill, number of bedrooms are based on the need (for the number of people)

    are you sure the base price isn't subsidized also? there is section 8 where the tenants pay 30% of their income and other subsidized programs where rent is set lower to begin with....and you still have to financially qualify.

  • 5 months ago

    You can play the home address game...nobody will likely catch up to you.

    HOWEVER...can you afford this apartment on your own? What happens if you break up and he skips town...leaving you holding that signed lease in hand to pay for a unit you don't want and may not be able to afford.

    If he can afford to rent somewhere it. I don't have the best experience with subsidized tenants...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.