What degree should I get and how should I go about it?

I'm 15 (sophomore in high school) and am currently in a collegiate program to graduate with an associates degree along with my high school diploma. I know I want to go into business as a career (still considering all of my options) but I don't know how long I should stay in college to recieve whatever degree. I could simply stay for 2 years and get my Bachelor's or I could stay longer and go further. What do you think the best course of action would be?

• David

You should consider what kind of business best fits your talents.  I like writing, but I didn't figure that out until after I graduated.

The Master of Perception: http://tiolibooks.com/cgi-bin/blog

Get a paid internship while working on your bachelors degree, it may be possible to do that while working on your associates degree, so you can get some job experience. You are NOT required to get an associates degree. Many bachelors degrees now require at least one internship to graduate. Many masters degrees require one or 2 internships.

You will have to decide what type of bachelors degree and what major or majors you want. If you get BBA, you still need a major like information technology, marketing or finance or human resources management or project management. Trump has B.A. in economics.

IF you decide to get an MBA, you may need to take the management MCAT test, NOT the general Aptitude GRE. I was in an online MBA in healthcare management degree program for over a year, but I already has an M.S. in geology degree. I had 6 month paid internship while I was working on the M.S. in geology. I did NOT get a job offer at the end of the internship. That office was closed.

• drip

IF the college accepts all of your college credit , then you could possibly finish your bachelor degree in two years. It will depend on what prerequisite you need. And how many credits you take per semester.

Once you have earned your bachelor degree you could go on to graduate school for a Master and then Doctorate degree, if you want to and have the grades and money to do so.

Realize that regardless of what your schools tell you, do not assume universities will accept any or all of your credits from your HS/college program.

I know several student who graduate from HS with an Associate degree as well. Only to find many of their credits did not transfer into their university. My nephew graduated from a HS with an Associate degree and went to an instate university, just 10 miles for his home. Only 10 out of 60 credits were accepted. His HS assured him all credits would be accepted by all in state public universities.

Business is not a great field to go into. Most students get their Bachelor degree, then work for several years, then go on for a MBA in order to make enough money to live on. There is many different areas of business, some much better than other as far as getting a job.

In the U.S., you typically need to apply separately to graduate school; it's not simply a matter of "staying longer." You would take the GRE and/or GMAT during/after your junior year, and then apply to business or other graduate schools no earlier than your senior year in college.

The more prestigious MBA programs (Stanford, Wharton, Harvard, etc.), however, don't accept recent graduates with business degrees; they prefer applicants with three-to-five years of real work experience.

So, unless you apply for (and are accepted to) a dual degree BS/MBA or BS/MS program, it's not a decision that you need to make now. And even if you do (and are), you can always decide to finish after your BS is complete.