Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 months ago

Do you think it's weird or hypocritical for a vegetarian to own a pet that has to hunt prey, like a cat?

I'm vegetarian and thinking of getting a cat. I follow my diet because I can't stand

any animals suffering, but I understand fully that cats are carnivores and require meat. Cats are like my favourite animals, so I really want to own one. But I am vegetarian...

@M'aiq The Liar- with a username like that, how exactly is anyone going to take you seriously?

@Nekkid Truth I clearly said vegetarian, not vegan! There's a difference between the two and you should know that.

@Frank No you're the idiot! Being vegetarian is actually healthier. I didn't think I would need to bring this into my question, but maybe for twits like you...

I know the problem. When I shared my life with a cat as a vegan, I used to buy cat food and hated doing so. I think it comes down to ensuring you have a rescue cat and looking into how to get them the necessary missing nutrients. But on the whole I just don't have anything to do with them nowadays because it's too difficult. Maybe that's wrong of me.

Weird or hypocritical? No I think you’re an idiot. We are omnivorous and we eat everything. We wouldn’t have survived as a species if we hadn’t.

Be omnivorous for the most part. Don't eat meat much as that is the cat's food more.

Source(s): What I do. Give free turkey to cat. And any meat to cat.... And live off of peanut butter, lentils....

With all the cats in shelters needing to be adopted, I don't think you're wrong for giving one a loving home and feeding him what he needs. There are vegan cat foods available that are fortified with Taurine and other nutrients that cats need, but be forewarned that some cats will eat the vegan food, and others won't. You just need to decide whether that bothers you or not. Don't worry so much about the label, "hypocrite" and meeting some imaginary standard. Do what you feel is right. As an ethical vegan, the goal is to avoid animal use when possible. Feeding your (carnivore) cat might be one of those situations where it's not possible.

• wicsong6 months agoReport

DO NOT feed a carnivorous cat a vegan diet! Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they NEED meat. Vegan cat foods are taking advantage of gullible consumers. Dogs, yes, they're omnivores, so a balanced vegan diet might be possible, but never cats

We should not keep cat as pet, nor any animal as pet.

• Nekkid Truth!

Or you can rescue an animal.. As oppossed to supporting breeding/trading. My 3 bearded dragons are rescues. All born in captivity by several generations and would not survive in the wild. They are still here regardless and need care, so I do the best I can for them.

Yes being a vegan or vegetarian is hypocritical

Kinda , since cats require meat and they need things like fish , beef , liver and other kinds of meat , you are supporting the meat industry even if you are not eating it yourself you are still buying it , and also for all the peoole who say *just put your cat on a vegan diet* cats cannot be vegan they are predators and carnivores! , they may look good at a checkup but for the long term a vegan diet will kill them , as for pet food while a good substitute it still does not give them all the nutrients they need or enough of it anyways and vegan cat food is even worse to their health and doesn’t give them any nutrients anyways .

• patty

cats need some meat in their diet. u can still eat what u want

Yes. It’s like wearing leather shoes when you’re a vegetarian. So it’s not ok to kill animals for food but it’s ok to kill them for fashion.

• Anna

I wear leather boots not for fashion but cause I'm not allowed to wear trainers to work. Plus I've had the boots for years since before going veggie.

Nah, not at all! It is literally in the pets nature to eat meat, they are carnivores. If they didn't eat meat, that could very well mess up the biosystem, especially in the wildlife. You shouldn't worry about being a hypocrite in these situations, most people love having pets and most are carnivores. I have a friend who is vegan but still owns a dog. So really, don't worry about it.

• monkienutz

Are you for real?? There are way too many cats and dogs in domestic situations. They are not part of the bio system at all. As if feeding a cat tinned cat food changes the bio system.