Am I a vegan or vegetarian?

I do not eat meat, ice cream, or milk. I eat cheese but that is the only dairy I consume

You’re vegetarian. Vegan is absolutely no animal products, this also includes wearing wool, and snakeskin etc. If you switch to a vegan alternative then you’ll be vegan, but vegetarian is what you are from this. Pescatarian is vegetarian but where you eat fish.

• Jeff H

A vegan is one who avoids any animal products while a vegetarian is one who only avoids animal products if they were the result of the death of an animal. Since cheese is made from milk it is generally considered vegetarian with one possible exception. Several of the previous answers have mentioned rennet which traditionally was made from chemicals found in the stomach of calves. These days, though still in wide use, there are several alternatives that are vegetarian friendly and, in this area I disagree with the answer by Clive about it being hard to find. Depending on where you live of course, non-animal rennet is often used as it is both cheaper and of a more consistent quality than animal rennet. A basic rule is the harder the cheese, the greater the chance of animal rennet being used (France is a notable exception to this however as animal rennet is preferred there last time I checked). Some studies indicate that in countries like the US up to 80% of mass produced cheese use a form of vegetarian friendly rennet in them. Specialty cheeses may use either and a quick check of the the companies website can often let you know which ones are vegetarian friendly.

• geezer

If you eat Cheese then you are a Vegetarian .. not a Vegan

If the Cheese you are eating has Animal Rennet in it then you aren't really a Vegetarian either.

• Clive

Obviously vegetarian on the face of it, but maybe not - there is a tweak I will come to later. Vegans don't eat cheese as it's an animal product. Simple as that.

That's the main difference. Vegetarians don't eat anything that an animal or fish had to die to produce. Vegans go further and don't eat anything that comes FROM an animal - so that mainly strikes out, in addition, eggs and anything dairy.

Now we come to the tweak. To make cheese, you need to make the milk clot and separate into curds and whey, and mostly, cheese is made from the curds. Very often, to make it clot, rennet is added and this is made from calves' stomachs - now do you hear the alarm bells ringing for vegetarians? If the cheese was made this way, calves had to die to make it. So this cheese is not even vegetarian.

It is possible to make vegetable rennet and then you can have truly vegetarian cheese. But this seems to be hard to find and if there is nothing on any packaging or elsewhere to indicate that animal rennet wasn't used, you have to assume that it was and it's not vegetarian cheese. So if you haven't checked that, you're not even a vegetarian.

It's really VERY simple.

A vegetarian consumes no meat of ANY kind nor anything containing or made from meat. “Meat” is the flesh of an animal.

A vegan is a vegetarian who also consumes no animal products of any kind - no eggs, honey or dairy products (milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, butter, soured cream, creme fraiche etc.).

Added, Now, I wonder which part of my answer, and the answers from people saying “vegetarian” some moron dislikes enough to a give a thumbs down to! Shouldn't they be at school?

You are a Vegetarian

Lactarian.

If you eat eggs you are an ovalactarian.

i think theyre both the sarne thing

You are a vegetarian.

And yes, you DO eat milk. What exactly do you think cheese is made of?

OMG...face palm.

you're a vegetarian then