Is it wrong to keep kids away from a child who's disability makes them act in a dangerous way?

My neighbors' son has some hyperactivity disorder. The problem is that if he becomes agitated, he acts without thinking. In the past he's shoved, punched, and even grabbed a kid in the neighborhood by the throat.

I can appreciate that he cannot help the way he acts, but I am babysitting my sister's two kids during the summer and I would rather avoid letting them play with this boy. My neighbors think I'm being mean and not understanding his disability, but to me my two nieces are way more important than anything else.

• GEEGEE
    Favorite Answer

Not at all. It's the caretaker's job to keep the children under their care safe. If this child is "out of control" due to disability, or not, he needs more supervision. You are doing the right thing in this instance. Understanding does nothing to keep your nieces safe.

No? Or maybe explain to your kids why that other child is acting a certain way so they know it’s ok to become friends with another person who has special needs. They’re human too after all. Kids understand better than adults.

• Andrew5 months agoReport

I can appreciate what you're saying, but in this case, the child's condition makes them potentially violent. Would you allow your child in a dangerous situation to protect someone else's feelings?

• GB

You should tell your sister about this boy. If you agree to babysit, then your duty is towards the children in your care.

No, that is not wrong. Your first duty is the safety of the children in your care.

i think youre right, if i had kids i wouldnt let thern play with hirn either

Is it wrong to keep kids safe? No.

• indeed

If this child is dangerous, don't allow other children to be around him. People will say you are mean or whatever but bottome line is, you are supposed to be protecting the children you are being paid to babysit.

If there was a dangerous dog living next door, would people complain that you wouldn't allow these children to be around that dog? Didn't think so.

• Liar

The parents are full of b.s. This kid could learn to manage his flare ups with proper mentoring, but they're taking the easy way out and blaming his disability. They're doing him no favors because he will spend the rest of his life being alienated, and will someday make a major mistake. It's just laziness, pure and simple.