Is it possible for an artist to use the symbols of other cultures in his(her) artworks?

Is it OK if a western artist use the eastern symbols in his(her) artworks or an artist from eastern countries use the cultural symbols of western countries in his(her) art works, such as Gothic symbols? Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's okay as long as theres purpose and vision behind it. But I would say sacred symbols are a no go. But yea dont put some Chinese characters on a painting to make it look "exotic", but if the symbols are significant to the meaning of the art piece then yea. Just stay respectful to the culture and make sure you research it well. For example, ppl use dreamcatchers in art all the time. But they dont respect the culture or the meaning. Because dreamcatchers absorb bad energy. Anyone who has a dreamcatcher tattoo didnt look up what it does because that means they want to absorb the bad energy into their body! Its clear the motive was just to look cool by using someone else's important culture. That's an example of what not to do lol.

• John
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I'm not sure why you would think you need permission..... Seriously.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I'm sure some Snowflake somewhere will get their panties in a wad over "cultural appropriation".

• 5 months ago

let's say that the sibolos have their function. but the proper language is the best to get into the story

What does the artist want to press a key?

that's a sibolo a key

or change the world, create consciousness. that's not any function or key

the genuine or mathematical language

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • martin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, it's possible and would add to the uniqueness of the work of art. It would be most interesting if the symbols, although foreign, were easily recognizable everywhere.

• 5 months ago

Unless those symbols are copyrighted or forbidden in the respective context (an example for the latter might be using the swastika in Germany), no. The origin of the artist doesn't come into it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.