Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 5 months ago

Where can i buy 60 AWG wire?

Can't seem to find it anywhere in this planet. Do they even make 60 awg wire? I need it to repair a tiny dual trace on a mother board.

Afraid not. I need 60 awg. The circuit writer pen is too thick for the traces.

Sorry I should have been more specific.

It's a chip set trace. Have you you guys ever seen a trace on a chipset?

I tried using wire from 32 awg and wire from some broken ear phones. None of them are the exact width of the traces i need to repair.

I was thinking of not using a solder iron but a heat gun. I've soldered wires of 30 awg by adding flux then heating it up to like 200c.

You're dreaming.

The smallest copper wire that I have ever seen or worked with was 40 awg magnet wire. About 150% the diameter of a human hair. Almost impossible.

Get a piece of 18 awg lamp cord.

Strip off some insulation.

Each conductor has 41 strands of 34 awg copper.

34 awg is .0063 inches diameter, or .160 mm diameter.

If you can't use one of those uninsulated, pure copper pieces of hair wiring, then you're not going to repair your fantasy.

p.s. Out of curiosity, I found the 60 awg dimension. It is .000309 inches diameter, or .00785 mm diameter. Thats not likely to survive being touched.

Contact: http://www.mwswire.com

That's a tall order for a small item.

Try taking a single strand out of a larger wire.

Fine stranded wire like that which is used in headset cable, a single strand might be #30 finer than that you have difficulty soldering. BTW, most PC tracks are thicker than they appear. Try #28 wire, commonly found, to make your repair. I repaired pagers and cell phone tracks as small as fly hairs but never 60 gauge wire

• John M

I'd be more concerned with why the trace burned in the first place before repairing it. There is a reason that it happened, usually a bad component shorted to cause a current surge.

Don't bother. If the circuit board needs that type of repair the item is obviously from a cheap consumer product that is designed not to be repaired. Buy a new mother board or a new computer.

Life is short.

• khalil

from a factory that makes instrumentation parts ...

it is too thin ... if you blow it, it will be torn!

Check with a computer repair shop

• Phil M