what type of tool do i need for a dodge grand caravan 05 check engine light?

I know i need a scanner but does the sizes matter i looked up the scanners but i can see there are different sizes which one fits my van? Thanks in advance to all answeres!!!!!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Have one of the auto parts chain stores run a free diagnostic scan.

• 5 months ago

Dodges have a free built in self diagnostic feature.

It works through turning your key from acc to on 3 times then leaving it in the on position.

A trouble code # will then be displayed in the odometer window.

its a little complicated so You need to look for "self diagnostic procedure in your owners manual & follow the instructions exactly.

Chrysler corp has put this self diagnostic feature in all its cars since the early 1980's but with the older cars you had to count the number of times the check engine light flashed to determine the trouble code.

• 5 months ago

you will need a scanner

• zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Just go to the local auto parts store, most change ones will scan it for free for you. They all will fit, it is how much info they can give you about what is wrong. Some just tell you a sensor is bad in a system others will pin point that sensor for you. That is the difference in cost!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Hey dufus. Just go to an auto parts store and they read the codes for free.

All OBD II DLC connectors are the same size!

You won't save any money playing mechanic as you have no clue how to use the codes to further diagnose your car.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • don r
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

the plug is different on some German cars, but right, just a generic OBD2 reader is good on a Dodge.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

NO, DUMMY! YOU DO NOT need a scanner. If you have a check engine light and you don't know what's causing it, take your car to a REAL mechanic and let them find the problem and fix it right the first time. It will cost you a lot less. Your screwing around with things you don't understand can only make things worse.

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Use a code reader that is OBD II, CAN compatible. Size is not a qualification. Here's one that's good enough: https://www.tmart.com/OBD2-Scanner-Car-Diagnostic-...

or you can pay 3 times that for the same one at Wallmart

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Any scanner for an OBD2 system will work.

• don r
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

....as long as it's CAN compatible, but some of the very early OBDII readers were not and would only display "ERROR" when the vehicle used the CAN BUS system.

• 5 months ago

The scanner size is mostly irrelevant. They use the same size connector block.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.