Can I use someone else's image for a pamphlet I am making?

I have a specific question about copyright rules, which I don't know a lot about at all, and I should learn since I want to start a property management business. I am creating a welcome book to place in the properties I manage. There is a page that will have a list of all the activities there are to do in town, and I want to put a photo for each. When I search these activities ("Horse Back Riding," for example), can I use any image I find on Google, since I'm not putting in on a website, just on a personal welcome book? Or I can only use images that are labeled for reuse? Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

"To place in the properties I manage" - that would be considered "publication" and therefore you'll need permission from the copyright owners for the images you want to use.

For some case, you can find "creative commons" licensed pictures which you may use for free accoring to the specific CC clause the creator has put on that specific image.

One other idea, though: since horeseback riding is usually provided by some commercial venue, why don't you ask them for promotional pictures you may use for your book? Just make sure you get a signed statement from them permitting you to use these pictures for that purpose - just in case it turns out they have stolen these pictures somewhere else.

• Nuff Sed

You can also find millions of copyright-free images that were produced by the US government and require no licensing at all.

• Andy T

You are right on that only if the image is specifically marked for reuse idea, if it does not say so copyright is likely associated with it and not available for use. Likely the image is searchable for discovery but license for use is behind a paywall.

No. You shoiuldn't without their permission.

That's up to the copyright holder.

• Lv 7

if you do not own an image (any image), it is illegal to use it without permission.

google image search has an option to only show results labeled for reuse. those you may use...

• Nuff Sed

True, although owning an image is not the same as owning the copyright of an image.

well the owner of the photo is the one who took it so they own the license to it. https://www.eyeem.com/blog/photo-copyright-101-is-... there are a few options such as creative commons or public domain. fair use doesnt apply to you because your using it for profit.

• Nuff Sed

"Using it for profit" is not an automatic fail for "fair use".

• Dave

Basic rule of thumb. If you didn't take the picture yourself, or pay for the picture with express written consent to use it however you want, you cannot use the picture at all. It's that simple.

• Dave

Maybe you don't understand what "basic rule of thumb" means.it's not all encompassing, but rather a "do this and you're safe". And i covered the rest, there is no such thing as copyright free anything, without WRITTEN CONSENT from the creator.

you rnight need their perrnission to do that