Mercruiser 3.0 leaking water from right side of engine, even when sitting. No water in the oil, seems to run fine but sprays water.?

Just picked up this boat for free from a rancher. Seems to run ok but shoots water out of the spot shown on the video. I’m assuming the block is cracked but I’m not sure if I should try and repair the whole seam or pull the block and repair it that way. Not looking to drop a whole lotta money into this.

• M.

The video??

The engine has a water jacket in the block and cylinder head.

The exhaust manifold also has a water jacket.

Identify which casting the water is spraying from.

Possibly there is a rotten steel core plug where there should have been a brass core plug. Some people refer to the core plug as a freeze plug, but that's not what it is.

Maybe you can post a photo or your video.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972.

-I have also been a marine engine mechanic during that time, rebuilding and repairing "inboard" engines.

No video. However it may just be a failed gasket. Well worth investigating on this engine.

What video ?

no video is seen

• CB

If it below the exhaust manifold it is either a cracked block or rusted freeze plug.