Is marriage about compromise?

My husband told me the other day that whoever told me that marriage was about compromise was a liar. And now I’m starting to see that he doesn’t compromise a single thing for me. I feel like I’m the only one that compromises on anything. I am honestly at my breaking point. I hate loud music but he likes it so guess... show more My husband told me the other day that whoever told me that marriage was about compromise was a liar. And now I’m starting to see that he doesn’t compromise a single thing for me. I feel like I’m the only one that compromises on anything. I am honestly at my breaking point. I hate loud music but he likes it so guess what; we listen to loud music. I hate listening to politics but he loves it so we listen to politics. He smokes and I don’t and I have asked several times that he not smoke in the truck with my 2 yo daughter and with me...I’m pregnant by the way... and he does it anyway. I am very anti social and I get stressed out if I’m around many people, even family. And he basically told me to just get over it. He decided to let our neighbors girlfriend live in our house until they find a place without asking me first. I know I’m not perfect but I just feel like a doormat! Like my feelings don’t matter. I’ve asked and begged and cried our whole marriage for him to pay a bit more attention to us than his precious cigarettes and beer and I get nothing. A scoff, an eye roll, and then anger is the normal response. I don’t know what to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
32 answers 32