Why can't I use fire exits when there is no fire?

I can't use the stairs in my building because ooooohhh that is a "fire exit". I have to wait half an hour for an elevator every day. Why do they turn perfectly good exits into "emergency only"? Like is there something wrong with using that exit when there is no fire? Does my using the stairs put people at risk?

• Albert

Could it be that most fire exists I've seen have alarms.

How are there literally no other stairs... what?

• ?

If they keep it locked, there's less chance of a fire on the fire stairs.

• D

moron

It would sound off the Alarm and likely notify the local fire department, or police dispatch team.

Also most workplaces keeps them locked because they want to monitor the people going in and out of the building through the main entrance doors, and go through metal detectors.

• Joe

You have a problem with that ? Really ??? What are you, 13 ?

It's called a fire exit for a reason... to exit DURING a fire...

Depending on how it is setup, there might be an emergency door which is linked to an alarm system when opened.

• Raditz

They aren't supposed to be locked, since it would spell disaster when a real fire broke out.

But from my personal experience, most people were using the fire stairs as a place for taking "smoke breaks" during work hours, since that place didn't have a smoke sensors installed. So it didn't surprise me that some building chose to completely locked it, just for preventing people to misuse it.

Rules is rules. I think you exaggerate about the elevator wait.