How to convince my parents to let me get snake bites?

This morning I asked my mom if she would consider letting me get snake bites. She said absolutely not, as long as I'm under her authority it is not going to happen. If I'm financially dependant on her I can't get any body modifications. I asked her why not, and she explained that it's antisocial, it's creepy looking, it makes me look less intelligent (we both know I'm very intelligent though), it shows insecurity (according to her) and it'll prevent me from getting jobs. I didn't whine, yell or complain when I asked her. I just told her I think they would look good on me and I like them. She told me the most she'd let me get are ear piercings. I'm only 15 right now, it'll be three years until I can get them (assuming I move out the summer after high school). How can I convince my mom to let me get them?

I do already have a job, I've had one since I was 13. I work at a golf course, and many employees have facial piercings (including snake bites) and visible tattoos that could be considered unprofessional. My boss has no problem with them. If it becomes an issue at a future job, I will put in clear retainers instead. Also, I'm not looking for people's opinions about snake bites. If you're not willing to give me the advice I'm looking for, don't bother answering.

I agree with your mother on this one because I would say no too because snake bites look really scary. However I do think It's a little strict that she said you can't have any piercings other then ears because a lot of people who have piercings got them when they were teenagers but I definitely agree with her saying no in this situation. There was this one time where I wanted a tongue piercing when I was 16 and my dad said no, and I'm really glad that he did.

• sdc_99

If you're going to have these things for the rest of your life, 3 years is a pretty short wait.

Find an alternative - like something clip-on or magnetic. Your mother makes reasonable points and is unlikely to change her opinion, so you might as well make the most of your desire for self-expression while still avoiding conflict with your primary provider. Given the small surface area of a piercing hole (vs something like a tattoo) it'll be easy enough to hide by just taking out the jewelry if you do end up getting one. The biggest issue would be the healing period, during which you'd have to keep them in at all times. The reason I'm bringing up the hiding issue is related to employability. A lot of businesses rely on an image they insist that their employees reflect, especially in jobs where you interact with clients directly. It's only natural since most clients would interpret and judge personal displays in alignment with the values of the firm-justifying imposing a business formal code of dress and mandating the lack of visible body mods or stuff like religious displays. Even in contexts where you don't interact directly with your client there are still rules regarding wardrobe and accessories: in many cases they are an unjustified but nonetheless integral part of working in an office. The stricter and more rigidly enforced hierarchy, the more they stick to the dress code-it's part of that work mindset that they try to invoke and distinguish. While there are some professions where body mods are not going to stand in your way (eg if you were aiming for working for NASA-and generally science subjects) in most cases you will have to deal with prejudice. If your interviewer is biased, then he's unlikely to hire you. If your interviewer is not biased but still aware of a general negative perception of body mods within the company or particularly among upper management, he won't hire you because it would probably become a point of friction at one point.

In the end most jobs requiring a university degree will judge you harshly on how you choose to present yourself. And it may be unfair and unjustified, but prejudice usually is. But the job market is not exactly flourishing and your mother is trying to look out for you and spare you the difficulties that you might not realise this would bring in your interactions with most people. There are non-permanent alternatives, so go for one- you're young and if you think it'll look good, it probably will- but you can find out without the pain and soreness of months of healing the job of the parlor that didn't think to check your ID.

I'm 17 and when I was 15 I wanted a tattoo. I did my research and decided if I still want it when I am 18, I'll get it. The tattoo is a dragon that makes the infinity symbol, and I do still want it as of right now. Not because it looks cool, or because something similar was in a tv show I watched, but because it holds meaning for me and my beliefs. I want it on my left forearm. Another I've wanted even longer is two phoenixes circling each other. One made of regular fire, the other entirely of blue fire. They also are meaningful to me because of what and who they represent. I want them on the back of my right shoulder. And finally, I want a hummingbird, holding a rose over my heart. The hummingbird represents my grandmother and the rose a sister that died a few hours after birth (she would be 19 now.) I want there to be the possibility of adding a key being clutched by the hummingbird to represent my mother when she someday passes as well. So ask yourself, why do you want snake bites? Do you want them just because you can or they look cool now? Will you still want them a few years from now? What if you got them now and a few years or even a few months or weeks from now didn't want them anymore? Have you looked into whether or not there is special care for them? Any effects they could have on you?

Just get fakes one until you can get your own piercing.

Piercings aren't childish or lower class (and are a lot more accepted in professional settings).. They're a form of body art and just aren't "shocking" anymore. I have a nose ring and a septum ring that I paid for myself and it's never stopped me from any opportunity.

My mom didn't have anything to do with me getting the piercings (except driving me to the mall where I was going anyway) and that was that. You probably won't convince her, so just have to get a job and wait!

• Mikayla5 months agoReport

That's your opinion, but most people disagree with you especially among the newer generations. I find piercings and body modifications attractive.

• Fred

It amazes me how many teenagers want things that mark up the body. In 2 ir 3 years likely you will be looking for a job and many employers will not hire people who stupidly as children disfigured themselves with facial piercings, tattoos, and other stupid antisocial things. You have to present yourself as the world overall wants to see you when you go for a job. Presentation is a lot of what gets you that job you want. When you are the boss you can do what ever disfigurement you want to yourself.

You are acting like an immature kid now and your parents are trying to stop you from allowing your childish wants kill your future potential. You may feel very mature at 15y/o but believe me when you are 25y/o you will realise what a stupid childish kid you were at 15y/o. We all though at our mid teens how smart we were and when our brains finally reach full adulthood in our early 20s we realise we were still very childish at 15y/o.

Listen to your parents as they are trying to prevent you from making one of the biggest mistakes of your life.

• Lita

You don't. You obey their rules until you no longer live under their roof and if you still want them once you live alone and are a fully functioning adult you can decide to get them if you still want them.

By the way, she is correct at least in part. Having snake bite piercings may prevent you from getting anything better than a McJob.

• edward

She’s right. You’ll look stupid even if you aren’t

You don't. Build a bridge.

Your mom is right. Plus they just look lower class.