Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 5 months ago

Difference between APS-C and Full Frame sensor with same MP?

If both cameras have the same megapixels, is there a difference in detail and quality? Some people have told me no, but I think they are totally wrong. Best answer goes to the best technical specifications explanation.

Damn, you caught me... I'm hiding the Ark of the Covenant in my backyard... Now excuse me while I go crap out my eyeballs from having rolled too far back in my head from such an irrelevant comment. Ridiculous, everyone is now more stupid for having read that, I award you no thumbs up and may Satan have mercy upon thy soul.

Steve, I've only voted one person down on this question, you are now the second. Thank you for being just as useless as the first guy. This is a legit question I've often pondered on, what the hell is with all the idiotic commentary?! To those who have answered with helpful information, I truly appreciate it. Getting feedback on this site is becoming increasingly more and more difficult.

For anyone else trying to be overly argumentative instead of just simply answering the damn question, your post will be flagged/reported.

Let's see now. Several people have giving you excellent answers and all they got for their trouble was a thumbs down. Your "update" is senseless and also makes you sound like an idiotic troll, which is likely what you are. Thus, I will waste no more time with you. Grow up.

UPDATE: See that little box that says COMMENT? If you actually appreciate some of the answers, why don't you say so directly to them and state that YOU are not the person giving the thumbs down. You have to see things from our side also. All the thumbs down and not so much as any acknowledgement on any of the answers make you look like a troll, or at the very least, someone very ungrateful to those trying to help you.

I did not get to me the number one answer giver in this category for no reason. I have spent TONS of time helping people out and it often goes even beyond just this forum. When you come here and just TAKE TAKE TAKE without so much as any acknowledgement of appreciation, yeah, you are very likely to get slammed.

The full frame sensor has larger photosites than the APS-C and will give better high iso performance for shooting in low light and/or fast shutter speed situations. As far as detail, the APS-C with the smaller photosites is the choice for many sports and wildlife photographers that need better reach at a tighter resolution for cropping in on their subjects.

The same number of photosites are on any sensor of the same MP. An APS-C sensor will need more amlification than a sensor with larger photosites. In photography you should see no difference in recent cameras of the same MP.

• keerok

Sensor size.

Full-frame will have better quality for the simple fact that more details can be crammed into a larger area compared to a smaller area but to the untrained eye, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever.

• Alan

The camera lens projects an image of the outside world onto the flat surface of an imaging chip. The lens works by handing each tiny point on the vista individually. These are project as tiny points called circles of confusion. So called because they are circular with scalloped edges and they are juxtaposed to neighboring circles of confusion. These circles have brightness and color thus they replicate the vista.

This projected light and shadow consists of photons. The photons bombard the image sensor which consists of photodiodes we call photo receptors. When photons hit during the exposure, they induce a tiny electrical charge into the photo site. The charge is proportional to the number of photon hits.

When the exposure is complete, the charge is moved to a storage area and the amount of charge is readout and converted to a voltage. These voltages form an analog image. Because these voltages are super weak, they are amplified and then converted to a digital image file.

The degree of amplification is in part based on the number of photon hits. If low, higher amplification is required. A larger image sensor naturally has larger photo sites. The larger area naturally receives more photon hits thus less amplification is required for cameras with bigger image sensors.

When amplification is applied, some static is induced along with the “good” signal. We are talking about the ratio of “good” signal vs. static. This is analogous to what happens when you turn up the volume on a radio. In digital jargon “static” is called “noise”. Noise generated in digital imaging shows up as artifacts (unwanted image defects).

The answer – Larger imaging sensors capture more photon hits during the exposure. Thus they need less amplification to generate a digital image file. Bottom line --- bigger is better!

• Frank

The larger the sensor size the more real estate there are for more and/or larger pixels. Since you've constrained the number of pixels to the same as whatever is on the APS-C sensor, then the pixels will be larger on the larger, full-frame sensor. Larger sensors have less noise and more dynamic range than smaller pixels regardless of the actual sensor size.

The other difference is the focal length required for any given angle of view. An APS-C camera using a 50mm will produce the same angle of view as a full-frame camera using an 80mm. However, since the focal length is shorter with the APS-C camera, the depth of field will be larger, too. So if you want the super-shallow depth-of-field look, then the best option would be to get the largest sensor that you can afford. For most people this is a full-frame/35mm format sensor. The ultimate would be to get a medium format camera like a Pentax 645Z, Fujifilm GFX, Hasselblad, etc... These medium-format cameras have larger sensors which use longer focal lengths than even a full frame camera. Thus they will produce a shallower depth of field. And since they have larger sensors with larger pixels, they produce less noise and better dynamic range.

Now, how much of that increase will you notice in your shots and whether or not that difference is worth the added expense is up to the individual.

I can't give you technical specs, but a full frame will capture greater detail simply because it is a larger sensor. The quality would be noticed in prints, post processing and low light editing.

• hooray

The answer is quite simple, but posting your question anonymously invites suspicion that you have something to hide, perhaps that you are cheating at homework, or worse. This isn't a sensitive or embarrassing topic so why the secrecy?